Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I change the keyboard to QWERTY?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I change the keyboard to QWERTY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Can I change the keyboard to QWERTY? Reply with quote

I have Via Michelin s/w on my Ipaq 1710. The keyboard for entering names is in ABCDE format - not QWERTY and I find it very hard to use.

I can't see anywhere how to change it - is it possible ? If so, how

thanks

Alan
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never thought about it, not sure that you can, but it is a damned good suggestion for any future release.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan, The keyboard IS in QWERTY, I can't get mine not to be in QWERTY, I can't see any options to change it, you could try a re-boot, or as a last resort, a Hard re-boot, but obviously you will loose everything with the hard re-boot, but if you want to check your settings, let me know.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a version thing. I had version 2.5 which had an AZERTY keyboard, but also the possibility to change to QWERTY or ABCDEF.

Then I upgraded to version 3 and it was only ABCDEF, although I don’t recall whether there was an option to change.

Then I reverted to version 2.5 for lots of reasons, but mainly because it was simply better software, and so now I’m back to AZERTY, but with the choice of others.

So, you see, it may be a good idea for a future release, but it was already in a previous release !
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your answers.

Due mainly to that issue - you have no idea how hard it is to write in ABCDE - I have removed it all and installed TomTom 5.

When Via Michelin decide to make usable s/w, maybe I'll reconsider it (that wasn't the only problem)

Alan
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And put it back again.

I need the GPS driver from Via to make TT5 work. But that means that Via starts up every time the unit gets reset.

Anyone know how I turn that off ?

Alan
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't swear that this is right --- but I think that if you bought your 1710 and VM as a package, then the Kirrio receiver is configured to work only with VM.

I might be wrong, but I'm sure I read something along those lines somewhere before. Perhaps someone else can confirm or deny this?
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I read that too, to stop you using any other softwear, and Kirro are also owned by ViaMitchelin, or something like that.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have that package. But I did have TT5 working with the GPS receiver but only if ViaM is installed as well. I think it loads a driver which TT5 can then see.

But.... I need to stop ViaM turning on when the PPC starts up. Or my parents (for whom this is intended) will go nuts.

I don't really want to use ViaM if possible - the TT5 s/w is so much better.

So, lets assume I can get it to work - how do I stop ViaM starting up?

Alan
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on PPC, but I think it has a "startup" folder in the same way as desktop Windows operating systems.

If VM is starting automatically then it probably has an entry in the startup folder. This would be normal if you bought a package from Michelin - they'd want their software to be up-front all the time.

So find the startup folder and delete the shortcut which starts VM.

Then you may find that the driver you need doesn't load. It depends whether it's permanently resident, or loaded along with the start-up of VM.

But, as I said, I'm no expert, so take care before deleting or changing anything !!!
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - part of it is in the O/S itself. When you inster a card or switch on, it checks for the presence of a directory with "autorun.exe". Rename that directory and it doesn't start up. Two directories - one called '0' and one called '277?' or similar.

The other one, which I can't find, is what happens when you plug the Ipaq into it's cradle. Some registry entry somewhere is starting up mapsonic.exe but I'm blowed if I can find it.

Anyway, I also can't get TT5 to see the GPS system any more, so I've given up and gone back to ViaM.

Alan
b34r5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem, although my main reason for wanting to change was inaccuracy in VM map. I didnt even get as far as you, in that for some reason i could not get any other software (appart from VM) to run with the Kirrio reciever. That included trying the GPS freeware you can get as well... tbh Im sure they have just made it as hard as possible to do! :-/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: