Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Palm / Kane / Fortuna / Karrio hardware compatibility ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm / Kane / Fortuna / Karrio hardware compatibility ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedHelp3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Palm / Kane / Fortuna / Karrio hardware compatibility ? Reply with quote

Hi,

This board has been highly reccomended from a quite unrelated site, so I hope you don't mind me giving it a go - and I apologise in advance if my question is completely silly / fundamental / ridiculous !

I'm not what you'd called a "Power User", but a bit of a tinkerer. (As I'm self employed IT reciepts were 100% tax deductible, now 50%, so it was a sort of bad habit I got into of picking up IT bits and boys toys at the taxmans expense. "Yes Mr Accountant, this new PDA gizmo / joystick / graphics card is essential to my work so it must be a 100% tax deductible expense")

I have a Palm Tungsten T2.

I have a Kane Palm GPS system. As I cannot actually drive, it has not had much use ! Just I got it at a bargain bin price, and thought it would be fun (at the taxmans expense) to play with in my GFs car. However Since we tried it out on a holiday drive, the next time I tried it out the Kane application will not open till I provide a registration code, which I have not got round to doing yet, so I can't use it at the moment.

Anyway ...

As you experts will probably know, the Kane System features a Fortuna U2 reciever, Kane disks, an SD card and some brackets, and when purchasing the product I had to make a separate purchase of Palm/Clie specifiic "Signal & Power Cord Accessory Pack".

Some time ago I picked up a spare set of Kane Palm/Clie "Signal & Power Cord Accessory Pack" out of the bargain bin, as just I thought they might come in handy some day if the ones I have ever got lost or broken.

Today from the same bargain bin I noticed a Karrio for Palm Tungsten E system. Actually on rooting through the box it contained just the reciever and lots of ripped cardboard and plastic, no in car holder, no leads, no software, no SD card, no manuals, etc. However I noticed on the Karrio reciever BR-306 that the plug at the other end of the lead looked very, very similar to the one into the Kane cabling. Thought I'd give it a go.

Having got it home I found they do indeed fit.

So what I'm wondering is

A) can I combine my existing T2, Kane software, Kane Palm/Clie "Signal & Power Cord Accessory Pack", with the Karrio BR-306 reciever (substitued for the Fortuna U2), and make it work ?

B) Would combining the Kane "Signal & Power Cord Accessory Pack", with the Karrio BR-306 reciever be enough to create a new system if I got lucky in my favourite bargain bin and found a cheap Palm/Clie and some cheap mapping software !

Thanks for reading, and if you do take the time and effort to make a reply, thank you ever so much.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: