Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XDA,Tomtom 2 and Holux - HELP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XDA,Tomtom 2 and Holux - HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: XDA,Tomtom 2 and Holux - HELP Reply with quote

I have an XDA and have just got TT2 with a HOLUX GM-210.

I have installed the software but can I get the GPS to work. . . . nope.

I have followed all instructions (what there are), but still no signal. Please, can someone let me know what I am doing wrong.

I am new to this, so bear with me. . .

For information, I have selected the Holux GM-210 and Serial on USB in the GPS tab - is this incorrect?

I have not installed any drivers or anything - do I need to?

I have put the GPS receiver on the dash, it is flashing green, but not relating anything back to the XDA?

PLEASE HELP, I AM ABOUT TO CRY!!!!!!

Any advise much welcomed, cheers Mark
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: XDA,Tomtom 2 and Holux - HELP Reply with quote

Hi Mark, is the Holux connected via the sync port? If so then the GPS set up you have (Serial on USB) is incorrect, it should be set to use a COM Port in the GPS App, Normally this is COM 4 but it varies with each PPC and I am not sure of the config on an XDA. If you try each Com Port one by one you will know it's working when you get a row of sots running from left to right on the status page that indicates the GPS app is receiving data from the Holux.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mark, try first setting the driver to NMEA 0183v2 @ 4800 and in the second box select SERIAL ON COM1.

If that doesn't work, then try NMEA 0183v2 @ 38400 with SERIAL ON COM1. Once you tick the box to start the GPS driver in TomTom Navigator's GPS Setup screen, switch to the STATUS tab and below the compass readout (top right) you should see a satellite dish and to the right some dots and then a Pocket PC. If these dots look like they're moving then it is talking to the GPS Receiver, it may just be taking an extended time to acquire a satellite fix (3D) which requires 4+ satellites.
mark99
Occasional Visitor

OK, tried that and still no luck.

Question 1: I have a driver CD with the Holux. Do I need to do anything with it? I have installed the Viewer GPS, but thats all. The rest I cannot do anything with??

Question 2: I am still struggling with the Ports. An earlier answer was to select COM 4, but how do I do this?

I am about to give up, and return the whole damned thing!

Any help for a frustrated newbie, much appreciated. As you can guess it needs to be low level!

Cheers

Mark

mark99
Occasional Visitor

OK, some more information.

I have been into GPS Viewer to try and see what is going on with the Ports:

If I try to scan on COM1, COM4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, or 11 then I get an "Open Failed". If I try to Open GPS on these Ports then I get a "Can not open COMPORT" error??

If I try to scan on COM2, COM3 or 8 then I get a "None" status returned. If I try to Open GPS on these Ports then I get the following "$PSRF104,0,0,0,96000,237759,922,....done"

If I open up COM2 in the "GPS Viewer" then I can go into the GPS icon, and select the appropriate receiver, then I am faced with the following options:

Com9:

Serial Cable on Com1:

Serial on USB:

Infrared Port

Serial on Com2:

If I select Serial Cable on COM1 I get a "Cannot open com1: Port does not exist", where as if I select Serial on COM2, then I can select the tick box OK. There is no signal however??

This should surely not be this difficult. I am overlooking the obvious?

About to throw XDA away, so please help if possible!

Cheers

Mark

mark99
Occasional Visitor

Well, I figured it out!

Searched the wed, and finally found a small para on the www.myxda.com website. Seems as though you have to uncheck the box in the Settings/Connections/Beam screen in order to activate COM1 for external devices such as GPS receivers. So simple when you know!

Well, just got the signal, and been around the town testing and first impressions are good. On a trip from Blackpool upto Scotland tomorrow, so that should give it a workout. Just need to get a mount sorted, and I think I am going to improvise rather than getting a cumbersome thing taking over the dash.

Incidentally, i have a rear cigarette lighter in my passat, and the lead is just long enough, so no unsightly wires to the ashtray!!

Thanks for all the advice. hopefully this piece of information will save another XDA ownder 2 days of pain.

Cheers guys and keep up the good work,

Mark
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Mark, Glad to hear it's sorted, when I read your solution it did ring a bell but we don't have many XDA owners so it's not something we have dealt with often. I'll be adding that to my FAQ!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: