Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom hanging
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom hanging
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: TomTom hanging Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sure I've seen posts about TomTom hanging, but I can't find them.

I've recently installed CheckPoint 3.2 - with the speed cameras from POI Sync (not the GPSWorld database). I've downloaded & sync'd these to my PDA (all the speed & red light cameras) - but have only selected to show cameras with speed of 30-70.

TomTom hangs frequently - sometimes every few minutes, sometimes it will keep running for 30mins (on a good day!). Obviously not very easy to force a reset of the PDA whilst driving, so I have to stop constantly to perform this.

I've tried running TomTom without CheckPoint, at it still hangs - but not so frequently. Additional info to my signature - the PDA is running Pocket PC 3.0.11171, processor is PXA250, ROM A00 (11110200EN).

The BT GPS seems to be working perfectly (usually picking up 8-11 sats) so I don't think thats the problem.

I'm sure I've read posts about TomTom/CheckPoint hanging, and about removing overlays etc, but I can't seem to find them now.

All help/advice gratefully received as I'm almost ready to throw the lot away.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you switch off the POI's?
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure there's no other programmes running. It worked for me
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought switching POIs off has solved it. It managed to work all the way home last night (110miles, 2hours) without freezing. Unfortunately, after working perfectly for an hour this morning, again it simply froze.

The only thing running on the PDA is TomTom/CheckPoint.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to go back to a minimum system in order to determine the problem, i.e. get rid of checkpoint.

(That being said I run only TomTom3 and nothing else and it still locks up)
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have updated TT3 to the later versions these sorts of lock ups always point to bad or slow SD cards.

The steps I would take to eliminate these would be to:
1) update TT3 to version 3.07;
2) defragging the sd card;
3) if there's no improvement find an alternative sd card.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not clear on your set up but would it be possible to switch from using an SD storage card to CF? You can pick up 256mb CF cards for about £20 these days, and I've not heard of any troubles with them the way I have with SD.
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a Lexar 1Gb SD card - as I was under the impression Lexar were a good make of SD card.

Unfortunately, I can't use a CF card, as the Axim X5 isn't Bluetooth capable (without a BT card), and I was advised that BT was the way to go.

Over the weekend I upgraded the X5 to the latest version of ROM (A04) - which wonderfully removed everything from my PDA. I fell for the 'backup using Activsync beforehand' joke - as once I'd upgraded the ROM the restore insists it's now a new machine and as such won't accept the backup file. Stunning. have reinstalled TomTom, and will try it again tonight.
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything worked fine going home last night (110 miles - 2 hours) - except for when I pulled into a petrol station about 5 miles from my destination and TomTom happily announced "you have arrived at your destination" (which I hadn't).

Driving back to work this morning, once again TomTom locked out (after only 15 minutes). This time however, after switching the PDA off, toying with the idea of throwing it out the window - 30 minutes later I switched it back on again, and everything restarted - no soft reset.

Anyone know if CoPilot works?
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the problem is down to the sd card.

See this post http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12284
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are right. I did the same and took the SD card out of my digital camera which is only 128Mb but it's not locked up once since changing it, and there's only 8Mb free!
It's an Impact card and the old one was a Kingston. How do you know which one's are good and which are bad? Is it down to price or trial and error?
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly interested to know what is a 'good' SD card. Looking through this site before buying mine, Lexar seemed to be a recommended make. Indeed, looking at the Axim website and their survey of SD cards (in Axims) Lexar is THE recommended card. Now, after forking out £75 for one I'm being advised my problems are down to the SD card I'm using.

Incidentaly, I've had a response from TomTom - apparently TomTom ONLY support Bluetooth with a Dell Axim if it uses the "Dell Trumobile 300 CF Bluetooth card" - which appears to be no longer available.

So I would advise anyone with an Axim X5 who is considering buying TomTom to use via Bluetooth, DON'T. I was planning on going the 'non Bluetooth' route but was advised not to. Now, I've ended up spending £350 to end up with something that basically doesn't work.
windsor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been using Tomtom Navigator on an Axim X5 for ages with no probs! I have a Sitecom Bluetooth CF Card, which is not supposed to work with an X5, if you read the forums etc., but there is a dead easy reg hack on the Sitecom website to fix this.

I also use kingston SD cards amongst others, for both maps and the program - although only 512Mb cards as these are much cheaper per Mb than the bigger ones. Maybe a search on the web for help on whichever type of bluetooth card you have will help.

Don't give up!

Geoff
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: TomTom AXIM BT Reply with quote

Hi

Following is the response from TomTom with regard using TomTom on an AXIM, via Bluetooth. A warning for anyone thinking of running TomTom on an AXIM via BT. It's an excuse to get NO support from TomTom.

This is why the Dell AXIM X5 is NOT on our Bluetooth compatibility lists because CF bluetooth cards other than the trumobile 300 did not work properly.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/compatibility.php?ID=1&Language=1

We are not obliged to support Pocket PCs which are not on our compatibility lists so this is the extent to which we can offer support for you.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to TomTom, all the third party Bluetooth cards did seem to be rather troublesome, and most never got Pocket PC 2003 compatible drivers.

You could post the markings on the back of your SD card, to see if I can recognise it as a card I know either as good or troublesome. However, I'm not sure you're going to get satisfaction.

One way out of this may be to consider upgrading to a newer Pocket PC. These days, almost every Pocket PC apart from the very cheapest has Bluetooth built in. You can always sell the Axim X5 and Bluetooth CompactFlash card to offset the cost.

Another possibility is to switch the Bluetooth CompactFlash card and Bluetooth GPS for a CompactFlash GPS - though I can't guarantee that will solve the problems.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: