Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whats the problem..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats the problem..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dazp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Whats the problem.. Reply with quote

Hi all, I went to France for holidays last week but as I have not yet bought a French map, Tomtom was useless once in the 'Chunnel' BUT being inquisitive type, I thought what would happen on the other side with no map... yes thats right however somehow it did decide to delete all my favourites and home settings as well as 'unarming' all my poi's and warnings Evil or Very Mad
So when I got home I would just 'backup' from my PC and all would be cool..wrong, still no settings, favourites or 'armed' poi's!! After spending an hour relisting old favourites and other info, I tried to backup FROM the Tomtom TO the PC with the disc, all my saved info but for some reason it gets about 90% across the download band with the 'cog' flying from TTG to PC, then sends up a ' could not complete the download.. message.
I have a 256MB card with only GB map and a handful of POI's..ie plenty of room etc..what am I doing wrong...?
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to backup is to copy your complete card to a folder on your hard drive, not using the backup facility on the cd.
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats strange because my Tom Tom played up on Friday. For some reason the 3D map froze even though the voice instructions carried on and the symbol screen ("turn off map") still worked. But it also deleted my favoutites and home address. I tried loading my backup from my computer onto another SD card (it was a full card backup using Explorer) but I still had a problem.

I had to do a reset and copy the files again but the favourites and home were missing. Fortunately I took someone's advice on the forum and saved my favourites into a POI category so I copied them back from there.

Anyone else had this problem and has any suggestions as to why it happened? It is not card capacity as I used Kingston 512Mb cards.
Dazp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I now have a back-up of my settings and maps etc in a new folder in 'My Documents'... which is 136MB, but my old A***C-A***E folder is only 23MB in size does this not include the GB map?
When updating the Camera database, do I use this folder now and ignore the original TTG folder that was giving me grief when updating..?
Using my coded TTG folder would not let me completely reload/unload settings from either TTG or PC...
Does this make sense cos its really starting to annoy me Laughing Out Loud Evil or Very Mad Wink
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazp wrote:
Ok I now have a back-up of my settings and maps etc in a new folder in 'My Documents'... which is 136MB, but my old A***C-A***E folder is only 23MB in size does this not include the GB map?

No. The 23MB is probably your settings and any POI's you have that was backed up by the TTG utility.

Dazp wrote:
When updating the Camera database, do I use this folder now and ignore the original TTG folder that was giving me grief when updating..?
Using my coded TTG folder would not let me completely reload/unload settings from either TTG or PC...

The Camera POI's has to go into the Map Folder, along with any other POI. Restoring from the TTG utility should have used the files that are in your 23MB folder and set your TTG to its previous state.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Dazp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
No. The 23MB is probably your settings and any POI's you have that was backed up by the TTG utility.

Thanks for your help Richard, so why is the original 23MB folder giving me such grief everytime I update stuff, this is twice now I have had to reload maps etc after reformatting the SD without a proper back-up (which installs!!) I really dont want to attempt another camera update for fear of erasing POI's etc again.

Dazp wrote:

Oldboy wrote:
The Camera POI's has to go into the Map Folder, along with any other POI. Restoring from the TTG utility should have used the files that are in your 23MB folder and set your TTG to its previous state.

Hmm, like I said, for some reason I get 99% loaded, then get a....

**backup/restore operation could not complete successfully. Please check all connections and ensure that a Storage Card is inserted into your TomTom Go**

All connections are good and running off mains charger!! I am confused :P
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that some users are having trouble with the Backup/Restore feature of the TTG utility. The only thing that comes to mind is that the Backup has been done under V5.0 and after the upgrade to V5.1 there is an issue between the versions.

It always comes back to doing a Full Backup (Copy/Paste).

Dazp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until now there was no problems with the back-up restore feature using the disc (apart from my own blunders..ie deleting GB map :P !!) but now it will not restore or backup via the disc hence my anguish!! Laughing
If I need to reformat my card again (before installing the backup) do I use the FAT32 or just FAT? And for camera updates drag new files over old in this 'backup' folder because I feel if I use my TTG coded folder, I will again lose all my POI's favouries etc .. .. ..
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a lot of post on Fat32. If you put FAT32 into the search and the TomTom GO Forum you can read the pros and cons.

There is no reason why you shouldn't copy over the files in your Backup folder, at least they would be ready to Copy/Paste and you wouldn't have to reload them everytime.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: