Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What a chump I am!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What a chump I am!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: What a chump I am! Reply with quote

I find myself a somewhat embarrassed forum member, as I think I have been had for a chump (PJ Evans please note). As most of you will know TomTom have not been very good at after sales products for the new 300 GO, in particular the maps. After trying every avenue open to me to get a map of France before my forthcoming touring holiday, I spoke to TomTom Customer Support on Monday to ask for some further info on map availability. CS said they had no further info but what I could do was purchase a map for the TomTom Go as they are compatible with the 300. Armed with this information I purchased an SD card map of France direct from Tele Atlas - genuine TomTom maps. It duly arrived this morning, and guess what? it doesn't work in the 300. The screen begins to load, the yellow load bar moves across the screen then the screen freezes with the TomTom logo showing on part of the screen with the load bar still visible and the whole screen is flickering, I then have to reset using paper clip. Is there something I need to do i.e. upgrade or something similar or have I been had. I think it may be a call to my credit card company in the morning as the item cost over a 100 so should be covered. Needless to say TomTom are pretending it never happened. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't work like that. You need to copy the maps from the TeleAtlas SD card to your original card, or install 5the GO software on your new card.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain in more detail please - idiots speak. Do you mean I have to install the new 5.10 software onto the SD Map of France if so which the 5.10 for the GO or the GO 300 or just copy the entire card onto a larger SD card to put both GB and France maps on the one card...?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest would be to go for the last option - copy everything from your two cards onto a new, bigger card.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
Can you explain in more detail please - idiots speak. Do you mean I have to install the new 5.10 software onto the SD Map of France if so which the 5.10 for the GO or the GO 300 or just copy the entire card onto a larger SD card to put both GB and France maps on the one card...?

What files are there on the Maps of France SD card?
What size is the card?
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust

We've had it from TT and Tele Atlas that the maps will work so hopefully if you do as has been suggested it will work. I ordered mine last night so they should be here shortly.

I've already got a bigger SD card here waiting (bought when on special offer ready for MOWE Ha Ha) so I'll try what has been suggested when it arrives.

Let us know how you get on
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
the easiest would be to go for the last option - copy everything from your two cards onto a new, bigger card.

If you copied everything across, then installed V5.10 will it automatically over ride the firmware that comes on the SD card with the maps?
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Faust wrote:

What files are there on the Maps of France SD card?
What size is the card?

12 data chk files 3 folders named France Maps, GLP, and TomTom-Cfg, 10 Vif files 1 system file 1 tomtom aid file 1 ttgo.bif file 1 ttsystem file = 39 files 3 folders size 239 MB. Hope this helps. I'm just assuming that I drag and drop the GO 300 GB map with the latest 5.10 firmware onto a larger card, then drag and drop contents of France maps to same card, pop this into TomTom and away I go....? is this correct?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that works. Make sure that your PC file explorer doesn't hide any files/extensions.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:

12 data chk files 3 folders named France Maps, GLP, and TomTom-Cfg, 10 Vif files 1 system file 1 tomtom aid file 1 ttgo.bif file 1 ttsystem file = 39 files 3 folders size 239 MB. Hope this helps.

I take it these are the files which were on the SD card from TeleAtlas.
It looks like you have all the files on this SD for your TTG to work. Strange..
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Faust wrote:

12 data chk files 3 folders named France Maps, GLP, and TomTom-Cfg, 10 Vif files 1 system file 1 tomtom aid file 1 ttgo.bif file 1 ttsystem file = 39 files 3 folders size 239 MB. Hope this helps.

I take it these are the files which were on the SD card from TeleAtlas.
It looks like you have all the files on this SD for your TTG to work. Strange..

I have spoken to TomTom today - finally (lost the will to live waiting on hold) the support agent had to keep asking his colleague what to do and got so confused that they have said they will email me - it doesn't inspire you does it. Anyway I have been in touch with my credit card company re: a refund.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, don't panic.

1. Copy everything you have to your French SD to a folder on your computer (use TTG or card reader)

2. Disconnect your TTG from the computer

3. Download application version 5.1 (ZIP) from TT website

4. Unpack the zip archive

5. Run setup.exe

6. When the TomTom Setup screen appears, do not tick "I Agree" box, simply close the window (cancel the Setup)

7. Go back to the directory where you unpacked the zip archive , there you will see a new directory called "tomtomgo".

8. Copy all 8 files in the "tomtomgo" directory to your French SD

9. Do a paperclip reset

Try your SD card again
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
OK, don't panic.

1. Copy everything you have to your French SD to a folder on your computer (use TTG or card reader)

2. Disconnect your TTG from the computer

3. Download application version 5.1 (ZIP) from TT website

4. Unpack the zip archive

5. Run setup.exe

6. When the TomTom Setup screen appears, do not tick "I Agree" box, simply close the window (cancel the Setup)

7. Go back to the directory where you unpacked the zip archive , there you will see a new directory called "tomtomgo".

8. Copy all 8 files in the "tomtomgo" directory to your French SD

9. Do a paperclip reset

Try your SD card again

Thanks for that info, although as there is only 1.5MB available on the French SD card I may have to purchase extra higher capacity card first. I was trying to avoid this as if fix does not work then thats another lump of cash down the drain. By the way do you mean 5.1 for my GO 300 or just the GO as there are two versions?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Don't buy a bigger capacity card (yet), the new files should replace the ones which are already on the French card.

2. If there is not quite enough space remove one of the dataXX.chk files - they are voice fles (but NOT data.chk)

3. There is only one 5.1 upgrade suitable for all TTGs I've no idea why they are separate for the New and Classic versions, download from either page and you'll get the same files.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it YIPEE! at last after much sweating I've got the Map of France up and running - though I did need a larger card as the 5.10 upgrade was just to big, even deleting the suggested files. I was sweating though when it told me I needed to activate the map and to go online and get the required codes, what a nail biter that was. The maps seem pretty up to date as well as I have just looked for some new roads listed on a 2004 paper map of France and these are on the TomTom. Thanks to everyone for their much appreciated advice. Holiday here I come.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: