Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtommad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Navigator 5 Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
yet another upgrade, sorry new platform,
i have had TT2 then TT3 every single variation on the TT upgrades and GPS drivers and still TomTom ask me to format SD card and reinstall Blah Blah.
I am hoping that TT5 is 1, not expensive 2, It has my address in it, 3, it runs on my 2 Hx-2750 units without having to "try" endless combinations of TT drivers andGPS drivers, it may be me but I get really cheesed off when i locate another glitch on present TT3 and the dreaded "FRAME" pops up and then a road built 5 years ago is not present on present maps.

I know that teleatlas update them but it takes ages "do they go around on mopeds" i have lived at my address for 5 years and yet my address is not in TT3 i must live in a "NONO" area,

TomTom Navigator 5 boasts tons of gimmicks but what we all really need is a decent map with all the roads on and POI's that have been knocked down and replaced with a B&Q, to be omitted (i am talking about hospitals)

It would also make more sense to let "common" people do some BETA testing to give it a real run for its money. I am a GP and have to stop and ask directions when my tomtom3 throws a wobbler or sift through maps or listen to prompts which unless you are quick to notice are wrong and you have to leave the motorway yet TT3 tells you to bear right???
TT5 had better be impressive as in our 5 Practice Areas we have a total of 84 TT3 and TT2 users, with a handful of the GPs / midwives and other staff liking it. Our surgery is 4 years old and off a major road yet not displayed in TT3 not even an un-named road, if i had to get to a patient not on the TT maps i dread to think what would happen.

Let us pray that the UK ver 5 of TT is more accurate.
You can bet the country of origin is 100%

I sound well cheesed off but all forums need feedback and i hope that some of my comments can be addressed, there are a lot more accurate mapping packages out there sadly we have compiled individual 0V2 files for patients, if these can be exported to other mapping solutions we would drop TomTom completely.

Moan over

Dr Ridgeway (lost)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Navigator 5 Reply with quote

tomtommad wrote:
there are a lot more accurate mapping packages out there sadly we have compiled individual 0V2 files for patients, if these can be exported to other mapping solutions we would drop TomTom completely

[sarcasm]You don't say. Which ones are more accurate?[/sarcasm]

As for the OV2 files - you can use the DUMPOV2.EXE utility to extract your POIs and then import them into "other mapping solutions"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy to convert POI's to any software you wish. I covert between Memory Map and TomTom all the time. There is some software to allow you do this, sorry I don't have a link right now, it was posted on this forum.
tomtommad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Accuracy of Maps inc TT3 Other's Reply with quote

In the fleet of ambulances and Rapid Response Vehicles they use an extremely accurate mapping system, i will find out and post the type, these chaps need to get to addresses that exist and unlike teleatlas more accurate maps can take 2-4 years to add to the map database, my address and the "new" housing estate at the rear of my house are clearly visible in the mapping system installed in the ambulance I was in last week.

I dont want to appear
Quote:
sarcastic
but you can bet the country of origin of TT3 maps are extremely accurate

TT3 was launched after the M6 Toll was built and never appeared on any "Public" nav system, yet it was clearly visible in the Service Units RRV's etc

I am with a crew next week and will ask their opinion on the device installed in their Ambulance

TomTomMad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. However you need to keep the pricing in mind here. The system they use will most probably cost a large multiple of the Pocket PC solutions.

The maps in the car fitted navigation systems also tend to be better, but this again comes with a much higher price tag.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: