Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V5 has there been any updates since the review.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V5 has there been any updates since the review.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: TomTom V5 has there been any updates since the review. Reply with quote

When TomTom announced V5 back in March, the PocketGPS team already had review copies. I therefore have to ask myself, if V5 has not changed since the review why is it taking so long to release the update. If as I would expect, they have been bug fixing and adding functionallity is it possible for the PocketGPS team to either update their review or post details of the things that have changed.

And are there any comparisons of the routing between V3 & V5 are the routes generated the same, better or worse ?

Cheers
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still some bug fixing going on. Featurewise the product seems to be stable.

Routes are generally slightly better, but there's also one bug that still affects the routing.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the bug?

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, that falls under the beta test NDA. Nothing serious.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another indication as to how important TomTom think Navigator is, these bugs should have been fixed months ago, but instead their focus is now developing the GO product, yet another V5 update for GO...

It maybe time for us PDA users to find another supplier & product.....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO is a closed system, very much easier to bug fix. PocketPC on the other hand as has been said before is very much more problematic with hundreds of various configurations hence the lengthier testing period.
RichXDA2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we are going over old ground here.....again!
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,
Darren wrote:
GO is a closed system, very much easier to bug fix. PocketPC on the other hand as has been said before is very much more problematic with hundreds of various configurations hence the lengthier testing period.

For long time we have been told the core engine will be the same for all the products. So if the core engine is working fine in the routing in TomTom Go should work fine too in any other product.
That's a common practice in programmers job, to copy well known parts of a program to the next to avoid problems.
I could understand issues about different systems. They happens me every day. But they never affect to known routines working well in the "core engine".
A program is just compiled in different ways for different Operative Systems. But provided the Operative System accept it, if any error or bug happens in one system will happen in the rest.

Unless the so called "common core engine" is just a marketing slogan.

Jose Adell
www.geopostcode.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada wrote:
For long time we have been told the core engine will be the same for all the products. So if the core engine is working fine in the routing in TomTom Go should work fine too in any other product.
That's a common practice in programmers job, to copy well known parts of a program to the next to avoid problems.
I could understand issues about different systems. They happens me every day. But they never affect to known routines working well in the "core engine".

And the core engine components probbaly do work fine. It's where they interact with PocketPC systems that are not standard that the problems arise, bluetooth stacks vary wildly, card driver implementation, display etc.

PocketPC may be a supposed standard but we all know that there are many problems that affect some devices and not others because the core components and implementations can differ so greatly.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys... wouldn't you rather wait and have a bug-free release?

Yes, occasionally bugs slip through the net but when a vendor seemingly rushes a product to retail release and bugs are found, the first thing users do is complain that it has not been tested properly.

I know that TomTom on the PDA is crying for an update, especially maps, but from what I have read v5 (bug free) will be well worth the wait.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Quote:
Routes are generally slightly better, but there's also one bug that still affects the routing.

My point was about this. Or means it that routing is buggy too in the other systems?

and for

Quote:
PocketPC may be a supposed standard but we all know that there are many problems that affect some devices and not others because the core components and implementations can differ so greatly.

Just to say that TomTom has a list of approved or compatible devices, where allegedly the software should have been tested long time ago, so at least the software should be ready for them.

As programmer I heard your words many times. Mostly of them from people with not any experience as programmer. In my portfolio I have now more than 400 customers. Do I need suppose they all have the same machine? Cause no one incompatibility have been reported yet.

If you are programmer yourself, can you tell me when did you need to modify your coding to acomplish with a given Pocket PC?

But giving you some reason about bluetooth or other external devices, am I wrong saying that they are commanded by external libraries (DLLs) and that they are usually released as patches by every software maker when an issue or device comes up?

Until now, all I read here, or other forums, are related to fault in the proper program, with functions nothing to do with external devices. Routing is one of them. And it is in the "core" engine.

You can disguisse it with pretty technical words for whose don't understand, but facts are facts. And I cannot believe that TomTom don't release a new version just because this or that machine and their BlueTooth stacks are giving problems when out there are thousands of other customers with approved machines awaiting the new release (that supposedly is ready for them).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get back to the topic at hand. I would guess that the GO has the same routing bug in version 5.0 but that it may have been fixed in 5.1 . Now I don't have a GO I can't prove that theory (yet).

I do agree though - a core engine should work the same over all platforms, and items like Bluetooth should not affect the core engine. They only affect the user experience when it comes to automatically switching on and off the Bluetooth stack when the user forgot to do it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern and the reason I posted this thread is this, yet again TomTom have a very poor customer service offering, they announced a new product three months ago as yet no sign of the product.

They have failed to tell customers what the upgrade offer will be, and they have missed their Mid May release date. Even if there are problems it wouldn't have taken much to update their web site and keep customers informed and explained the upgrade process.

The current PocketPC has not been updated for nearly a year, and the maps they released last year were out of date, when released, but instead of developing the product they have released Go, Go 300, 500, 700 the Plus service etc etc. I really do think they have their priorities wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting updates every other week, but just some feedback to say what, when & how much the next upgrade would be nice.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree 100% with those comments.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: