Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS and exposure to sunlight
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS and exposure to sunlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poofacekiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: GPS and exposure to sunlight Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Fuzion bluetooth gps receiver (i dont know the exact model number but its the transparent one) for use with my T-Mobile MDA Compact and TT3. So far i havent had any problems with the GPS receiver but what i would like to know is whether it is safe to leave the GPS receiver on my dashboard exposed to direct sunlight? I only ask because today was a very hot summers day and after leaving the unit in the car for some 8 hours it became extremely hot. Is this likely to reduce the lifespan of the unit or are they specifically designed to tolerate this kind of heat and/or exposure?

And finally, does anyone know of any compatible cradles/gps mounts/car kits that come with a sun visor/shield as i find it difficult to view the TFT screen on a sunny day while im driving.

Any help is appreciated Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you read through the forums you will see lots of threads on this topic. The plastic body can melt or crack, the receiver can overheat, and worst of all, the battery can get dangerously hot (although none have exploded - yet)

Always use heat deflecting material when leaving the receiver in the car for a longer time. This can be a white baseball cap, or one of these aluminium windshield covers. Best would be to remove the receiver from open view altogether - also keeps the thieves away a bit better.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: