Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP 1710 GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP 1710 GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Normuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: HP 1710 GPS Reply with quote

Dixons have an HP 1710 GPS based on an ipaq and tom tom software.
My budget was around 300, the HP bundle above retailing for around 299 and the Tom Tom Go 300 for around 369.
My budget is really no more than 300. I am nearly tempted just to go for the IPAQ based solution. I live in the UK and the main (and probably only requirement) is for driving in the UK.

Any list of the pros and cons of either solution?
Software differences?
I would also like free Speed Camera POI, which seems freely available from this site?
What about power supply? I assume the IPAQ can be charged at home without the need for a cigaretter lighter? What about the GPS receiver?
The IPAQ touch screen should work ok without the stylus?

I think thats all, many thanks in advance.
I have a drive on Sunday, and am very keen to try my new gadget!
:D
volvos60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Normuk.
I Live in Israel and my friend has Mio 168 with gps, he bought it for 240pounds. The software Destinator Israeli Maps Cost another 200+ pounds but he did not buy it. He downloaded Destinator throught the internet like Kazaa or Emule, Shareaza for free and it works perfectly!!

Me myself got HP rz1710 on auction here in Israel for only 99 pounds.
Now I am cosidering buying a Gps Mouse but the software I am downloading now from shareaza for free.

I've seen the package on Dixons site. You could buy it for 300 and the software download from the internet.

Another thing i am curious if rz1710 will handle the GPS and the software cause it has 203Mhz and 32Mb memory.
Normuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Dixons sell it as a package, the Ipaq, GPS Receiver and Tom Tom software. I would hope the ipaq is capable of running the software as it comes with it. I assume i dont need to get anymore software?
Does anyone around here own this package?
martinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Normuk

I am new to this, but I have recently bought the ipaq/tomtom bundle from Dixons for £299.00. It seems to do everything it said it would, I have had no problems with GPS except sometimes in the centre of London it has a bit of a wobble but corrects itself after a few seconds. I am buying a larger memory card for the pda so that I can make full use of the features available for it. I think the only downside with this package is that it is not Bluetooth, although you can connect to the pc via cable or infa red.
I hope this helps.

Martin
volvos60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Again!!!

I soldmy Ipaq 1710 last friday to someone for 100pounds.

Yesturday (Sunday) I ordered MITAC Mio 168RS with Hard aluminium case and protective cover for screen for 270 pounds including p&p.

So proud that I sold my Ipaq because it had'nt GPS.

Now can't wait till it arives.

Good luck.

alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1710 i a basc ipaq and doesnt have a lot of ram it fine if all you want is gps if you want to use it for anything else then out of personal choice i go for something like a mio168 or a an ipaq hx22xx or hx24 series as they have better conectivityand duel storage slots the moi is good if all you want is a navigation package with minimel wires as it has the gps built in. have a look at some of the speicilist retalers like total pda or expansys to name two

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: