Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Permanent wiring to car power for ICN510 - How do I do it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Permanent wiring to car power for ICN510 - How do I do it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven-f
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Permanent wiring to car power for ICN510 - How do I do it Reply with quote

I'd like to mount my ICN power lead permanently, rather than use the cuigarette lighter adapter.

Does anyone know what I need to buy in terms of power lead that can be wired straight in to a 12v car supply (I need to buy it rather than make it as otherwise the car would probably end up on fire!)

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Permanent wiring to car power for ICN510 - How do I do i Reply with quote

Steven-f wrote:
I'd like to mount my ICN power lead permanently, rather than use the cuigarette lighter adapter.

Does anyone know what I need to buy in terms of power lead that can be wired straight in to a 12v car supply (I need to buy it rather than make it as otherwise the car would probably end up on fire!)

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Don't know if you are US (I am) or UK, but this what I used. It plugs into a fuse socket, and contains the original fuse plus 1 for your device.
The URL is kind of long, go to www.jcwhitney.com and do a search on " TAPA CIRCUIT WITH DUAL FUSE HOLDER"
Steven-f
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: 12V or 5V Reply with quote

Thanks, but its the converter from 12v to 5v for the ICN510 thats the important bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V or 5V Reply with quote

Steven-f wrote:
Thanks, but its the converter from 12v to 5v for the ICN510 thats the important bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Steve

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention one little detail.
I plug the original cigarette lighter adaptor into an extension or a multi-socket extension in my case and then I cut the cigarette lighter adaptor off of that and wired it in with the tap a circuit. Just have to watch the polarity. That way it preserves the original in case you need it. You can ususally find a place to tuck away the extension end.
Sorry! Smile
DreX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively

But A Lighter plug from maplin about £2
Wire it directly into the fuse box
Along with 2 amp fuse

You can then plug the Navman Lead into this socket
and tuck it away somewhere under the dashboard

WARNING if you cut the cigar plug off the navman lead
you will Blow the navman as the Plug reduces the voltage
from 12v to 5v

Alternatively Halfords will hard wire the navman
for you All PArts Included for £39.99
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have acces to a walmart you can get a 2amp 12vdc to multi-voltage adapter for $15. comes with several tips. you should be able to run it off the 4.5volt setting. The test I preformed on the icn510 revealed the battery was 3.63 to 4.12 nominal. Which means 4.5 would have been plenty to charge and operate. The charger included with the navman produces 5volt +/- 2%. If you're particular like me you can change the value of the voltage resistor in the Walmart unit to produce the exact voltage of the navman charger. (pretty simple process). The trick is finding the tip, none of the Walmart tips were the right size. You can order special sizes or in my case I had a bunch of old cell phones and chargers. The Audiovox cdm9000 had the exact tip I needed. I removed the audiovox tip pig tail and soldiered to the walmart unit. The other advantage to the walmart unit is that its 12v plug is on a 1 meter length of cable making it easy to hardwire into your car. The actual converter is about the size of pack of cigarrettes.

Special notes. While studing the Navman 12v charge I noticed to things about it which were strange. 1) It has a 3rd white wire which runs to the tip and appears to be coupled to the ground wire via a cap. Where it terminates into the charger its labeled as "Sense". I have no idea what it does. However I well say I couldn't find this on the AC charger. So I don't know how important it is.
2) The Navman charger had no functional blocking diode in its input circuit. Which meant your car's electrical system could bleed power from the icn510 battery. I discovered this shortly after I first bought mine and have reported this problem to Navman for which I haven't gotten a response. The Walmart unit doesn't have this problem.
2)
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI the tip size I measured was 3.22mm OD x .9mm ID. A 3.5mm OD will not fit and a 1mm ID doesn't make a realiable connection.
This link has a unit that looks like the walmart unit. They also provide support for special tip sizes. Althogh I didn't see it listed. http://www.powerstream.com/Product6.htm

The audiovox chargers should be easy to find and cheap to purchase. I see them on ebay in lots of 5 to 50 being sold for $1 to $2 each. Its an old phone but used in the past by one of the major carriers in the US. So theres a lot of them being dumped.

Oh, the power consumption on the icn510 appears to peak around 900ma. The norm was around 350ma.
filgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Hardwired Navman Power Supply Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing this to tidy up the dash. Does it matter that at times the Navman power adapter is coonected and powered up without the navman unit drawing power. ie the psu might be connected for long periods of tim ewithout a navman connected?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: