Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Version 5 advanced warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Version 5 advanced warnings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Version 5 advanced warnings Reply with quote

QuestionI know this topic has been mentioned before, but I have lost the thread in amongst the new topics posted recently/
I have certainly noticed a difference in the frequency of double instructions in version 5. Today I was instructed to "turn left and then turn left" with the second turn some 250 yards away and many side roads between. I must admit I do find this somewhat confusing - to me turn left and then turn left should apply to an immediate next instruction. Without looking at the map (and lets face it is not always possible) one could easily be hesitating when driving expecting to turn immediately.
Does anybody know what Tom Tom have done to the programming and why ?
Appologies if this have been previously answered.
calypso
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19299
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:-

Thanks for the link !
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mow,

If you haven't already done so, it's worth logging on to the TomTom website, creating a My Account, and asking the question. The more people that challenge the design the greater the chance of a a fix.

Regards,
Rich
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwman wrote:
The more people that challenge the design the greater the chance of a a fix.

Regards,
Rich

Why do we need a fix, i find the double warning a useful addition.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with the double warning. It makes me aware that another another change of direction is close by.

'Left and then left' to me means 'turn left and get ready to turn left again. I'll tell you when'. A quick glance at the TTG would confirm this.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be it's being used to the older version, but to me turn right and then turn right would indicate some immediacy in the instruction. To find other right turns that should be ignored between instructions tends to be misleading. To me its simply the wording - if it was to state turn right and then in 250 yards turn right I would have no problem.
All this said I will continue to support a superb product and all these debates and opinions will hopefully make it even better in the future.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz has reported the same issue in the US. Here it is far more pronounced. Telling you about the next turn which is miles down the road rather than in a couple of hundred yards.

Personally I like this feature, especially if you have to turn left and then right as you may need to get over a lane or two to perform the right turn.
HOG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two incorrect instructions which have been bloody dangerous and could hae caused an accident with V5.

It has told me on dual carriageways to take a left to get to my destination only to find it has directed me into a disused dirt track with no possibliity of turning round. Result? I have had to TWICE reverse out onto a dual carriageway.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOG wrote:
I have had two incorrect instructions which have been bloody dangerous and could hae caused an accident with V5.

It has told me on dual carriageways to take a left to get to my destination only to find it has directed me into a disused dirt track with no possibliity of turning round. Result? I have had to TWICE reverse out onto a dual carriageway.

HOG:-

I have had the same occurance leading me to back an HGV out of a closed road where a new stretch had been constructed, the shortest route would have been down the old road if it was still there ! - I put it down to the use of old maps and await the delivery of the new updates.
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion directly to TomTom has been similar to Mow's - if the distance between the two turnings is greater than (say) 200 yards the messages should change from "Turn left then turn right" to "Turn left then after xxx yards turn right".

Running the TTG on the motorbike means that I rely very heavily on the spoken instructions and the capacity to keep looking down onto the screen is not viable.

Regards,
Rich
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had v5 up and running for a few days, and this change in the voice prompts slightly unnerved me at first. Like using a TTG when you've never used satnav before (which was me in September), I just think it takes a bit of time to get to the unit's turn of phrase. The voice engines and maps on these things will never be perfect, so i'll continue to "overrule" the TTG if my own eyes and the road signs suggest that to be the best option. At the risk of incurring a light flaming, if you think it almost caused an accident, then you are probably relying on it too much. Just my 2p....
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it was ok before!!
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to TomTom, there was a minor problem with limited warnings on motorway-type junctions at speed. I agree with MikeB that the new instruction logic is generally an improvement under these conditions, but becomes fatally flawed in low speed congested urban situations.

I tried v5 again today, and in the centre of a small town I was not familiar with, the voice instructions took me into a Safeway car park. Since this was located by a complex one way system, the voice instructions became so verbose and superimposed that they were counterproductive in recovering the journey. Peering at the map display was just not possible while negotiating the junctions.

As JohnBoy59 points out, it was ok before. Nice try, TomTom, but no cigar.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBoy59 wrote:
But it was ok before!!

I totally agree, it seemed fine to me before, however I guess this debate could go on for ever, and each opinion is as valid as the next.
How about a compromise based on your current road position i.e. double instruction on motorways around 250 yards (or even more) A roads 150 yards and B roads 50 yards. May be asking too much of the product, may be me getting too much of a perfectionist, but may be worthy of debate ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: