Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG GPS is not actually global?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG GPS is not actually global?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
songtm2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: TTG GPS is not actually global? Reply with quote

I love my TTG, and take it everywhere. But it has a serious limitation, it only works in the places that you can buy maps for - currently certain European countries and the U.S.A.

The TTG needs to have a worldwide mode, allowing storing of waypoints (POI) and straight-line routing between them, much like my trusty old Garmin-III handheld.

To someone familiar with the map data format, it should not be too difficult to knock up a set of dummy map files to enable the TTG to operate (with reduced functionality) anywhere on the planet.

Anyone out there up to the challenge?

Idea
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it were possible this is not permitted. The Map structure is a TomTom proprietory property (erm)

Simply put , the GO was never conceived to be a global product.

If you want to try your own stuff, have a look at www.opentom.org

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: TTG GPS is not actually global? Reply with quote

songtm2000 wrote:
The TTG needs to have a worldwide mode,
Idea

Why??
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: TTG GPS is not actually global? Reply with quote

songtm2000 wrote:
I love my TTG, and take it everywhere. But it has a serious limitation, it only works in the places that you can buy maps for - currently certain European countries and the U.S.A.

That is not strictly true. The GO will work anywhere on the Planet.

However you are quite correct that in that it is not particularly useful without maps. Maps are soon to be coming for Eastern Europe, some parts of the Far East and Australia.
songtm2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB,
Thanks, any info on release dates? It was the planning for our summer trip to the far east that led me to start this thread.

Lbendlin,
Clearly, making unauthorized copies of TomTom’s map data would constitute copyright infringement, but I was talking about something different – i.e. creating a completely new blank map that would conform to the TT map format specification. Not unlike using OpenOffice to create documents in Microsoft Word format.

Is it your understanding, or has TT previously published a statement that the GO was never conceived to be a global product?

Thanks for the opentom.org lead, I’ll check it out.

gingernut777,
Why? Because as MikeB rightly pointed out, the GPS engine in the TTG does work worldwide, but it is effectively crippled by the software if you do not possess the map or if the map is simply not available for your current location. In this situation you could consult the GPS status page, but that’s roughly the extent of its usefulness, such a pity.

Another thought – the TTG knows its location, so how about turning the GUI logic around so that the TTG looks in its map storage and either proposes or auto-loads the most suitable map at the appropriate moment, instead of relying on the poor user to manually switch between maps? Living a mile from the Swiss/French border, I have become adept at map switching but it always feels like an unnecessary inconvenience.

Not here to knock the TTG, just trying to make it better.

Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: