Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help with my garmin CF Que 1620
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help with my garmin CF Que 1620

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuongla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: help with my garmin CF Que 1620 Reply with quote

i recently purchased a garmin CF Que 1620. it came with MapSource Ver. 5. it worked fine for the first couple of days. then when i turned it on the next day it seems like the GPS cannot get a lock on my position. here are the symptoms:

when i go to "GPS info," where it shows "Acquiring Satellites" and the bars for the stallite signal strength it appears that the GPS finds a good amount of stallite. there would always be 4 or more satellites with good signal strength. my problem is the GPS never shows my position or it appears to never really lock onto any of the satellites even though it finds them. another weird thing is that the circular diagram that shows "N" north, "W" west, "E" east, and "S" south which usually has the number of the satellites rotating around the diagram does not. All the satellites that the GPS finds appears stuck on the "N" north letter of the diagram. This is not normal because when it worked properly yesterday I could see the satellites all over this diagram.

Is there something wrong with my GPS receiver or is it the software? PLease help me, thank you so much.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: help with my garmin CF Que 1620 Reply with quote

cuongla wrote:
All the satellites that the GPS finds appears stuck on the "N" north letter of the diagram. This is not normal because when it worked properly yesterday I could see the satellites all over this diagram.

Welcome

Your GPS has lost all it's satelite emphermis and almanac data. It normally keeps this data in an internal memory, but some how your one seems to have lost it all.

You need to leave it in a place with a good view of the sky for 15 minutes (be prepared for leaving it there for an hour or more) so it can re-aquire all the data.
cuongla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my gps is not broken or messed up? i have left it out for about 45 minutes before and nothing happended still. when you are talking about internal memory are you talking about the memory on the CF card that the GPS is integrated on or the memory actually inside the GPS receiver? what could have cause my GPS to lose all its memory like that. my CF card seems fine because i can still run the program and i can still use the maps. i hope this will work, i am trying it today. thanks alot for the help, I will keep you posted.
cuongla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have also noticed that when i leave the gps still outside, it acquires the satellites for about 15-20 minutes then it starts over again. like it would have 6 signals locked on then all the signals would drop and it starts all over again.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your GPS may have lost it's almanac (which it uses to calculate where in the sky each satelite will be). The GPS will probably take at least 15 minutes to get a fix when it has no almanac but it should store this in non-volatile memory and not lose it.

But it sounds like it could be broken if it is getting a fix then resetting itself. You might have to get it looked at by a professional. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: