Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Exporting Navigon 4.2 maps via Active Sync to a BM 6300 PNA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Exporting Navigon 4.2 maps via Active Sync to a BM 6300 PNA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Exporting Navigon 4.2 maps via Active Sync to a BM 6300 PNA Reply with quote

Can anyone out there help? I have just bought a Navigon Blue media 6300 PNA here in Germany and the unit works very well with the 256mb SD card that holds the German map. The problem is that nowhere in the instructions can I find anything about exporting the other maps to a new SD card. I have set up the Active Sync programme and it seems to synchronise the files...up to a point! Every time I have tried with the France or GB map, it tells me that the Kwa.sfs and maps.sfs can't be synchronised becasue of lack of memory space, they are read only or I need permission to copy. The PNA seems to have formed a partnership with my laptop, but I just don't know how to get the maps from one to another. I also have no idea how to create and cut my own maps. An e-mail to Navigon several days ago is still unanswered.
Can anyone explain step by step in simple language how you do the exporting and cutting. It is driving me mad! Crying or Very sad
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Broom,

The 2 ways that normally work with Navigon 4.2 is to put your NEW card into the PDA, connect via ActiveSync to your main PC(desktop or laptop), then start Navigon 4 Map Export, select the map, then click the Transmit map fragment, if your new card is in your PDA then it should load the map on to it, please note that a 220MB map using ActiveSync may take 25-30 minutes, if you put your card into a card reader and select that it will only take 3-4 minutes.

The files you mention are two of the larger files that will be exported to the card.

If you are doing the above then i do not know what the problem is.
Broom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Navigon 4.2 Map exporting Reply with quote

Thanks for that reply Pocketgps. The problem is that I can't find the Nav 4 map export tool. The only CDs that came with my German PNA are 1. A support CD, which is a pdf manual and link to the BMedia site and the Active Sync tool 2. A back up copy of Germany and another pdf manual 3. Maps of Germany, the alps and France and 4. Maps of GB, Italy, Scandanavia and Iberia.
Nowhere is there a good idiot proof guide to let me export and cut maps. Anyway that I can get this from somewhere else? It may take a while from Navigon, so other ideas appreciated.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Broom

I have 4 cd's: This is Medion Navigator 4.2 (which is there version of Navigon 4.2), the info on each cd is as follows:

CD 1 - Map Export Tool - Map Material - Quick Installer
Germany, Austria, Switzerland
incl. Major Roads of Europe

CD 2 - Map Material
France incl. Major Roads of Europe
Spain, Portugal incl. Major Roads of Europe

CD 3 - Adobe Reader 6 - Map Material
Scandinavia incl. Denmark & Major Roads of Europe
Scandinavia incl. Denmark, Germany

CD 4 - Map Material
Italy incl. Major Roads of Europe
United Kingdom, Ireland incl. Major Roads of Europe
Austria, Switzerland & South-Germany

That's what printed on all of the cd's

If you put cd 1 one in your main pc drive, do you not get the option to install Map Export then, i have just used Explorer to look at cd 1 and only see the setup.exe file along with many others, but none actually say Map Export, so are you sure that you have not got it.
Broom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pocketgps. Thanks for the mail. I have the answer now. I did what I should have done all along. Instead of mailing Navigon again, I rang them. They were very helpful indeed. The thing is ( a good point to those thinking of a Navigon PNA over the PDA) the PNA doesn't come with a map export tool. You just convert the CD maps via Active Sync and then cut and paste or drag them from the AS folder via explorer to the memory card. There is no facility for cutting your own maps, you can simply just copy the whole map onto a SD card. For someone with little technical expertise like me, this is probably just as well, but I guess a lot of you might be dissapointed at the limitations of this unit. Mind you, this is just the German product I am talking about. Maybe in GB the software setup is different. Still I am happy that I know have the GB/Ireland map on a 512mb card and France on a 256mb card and they seem to work! Thanks again for your advice Pgps. :D
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Broom

Glad you got it sorted, we have both learnt something new.

Thumbs Up
Broom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! I would be fascinated to hear from anyone out there who has bought the British version of the Navigon all-in-one PNA, just to see if the set up is different from the German version. Also I am curious to know whether I can change my operating system language to English and also if it possible to get an English language guidance voice instead of a German one. I remember hearing something about 7 guidance languages to choose from, but again that could be the more flexible PDA version.
epaway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i just bought one today and i am in UK. I only got 1 cd with the UK maps only. Can you advise if this is right? If anyone has the portugal map, i would be grateful???
Broom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: UK Version of Navigon PNA Reply with quote

Hi,

As I told pocketgps earlier, the German version of the PNA comes with a variety of maps on four CDs. I don't know whether the UK version comes with these too, but I am pretty sure it should. Navigon boasts of giving customers 21 countries in total and over 5 million miles of map.

Apart from that, are you pleased with the system? I am delighted with mine. I have now used it it on the journey from Germany to London and passing through Belgium and France it was fantastic. The only pain is that unlike the PDA version you can't cut maps, so you have to keep changing the individual country maps everytime you cross a country border. But still a small price to pay. My father in law has just taken delivery of a new Mercedes with the state of the art DVD COMMAND navigation system and after a thorough test, I can honestly say that my little PNA is as good a system as the Merc's at a sixth of the price! Plus I can use it in a variety of cars, which I already have.

I'd be happy to hear your views.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: