Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Volume on the 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume on the 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Volume on the 510 Reply with quote

Here's an idea lads (and lasses), i have a Navman 510 (brilliant bit of kit)and find its not very loud, what iv'e done is use the earphone socket and put it through the auxilary input on the car stereo, hey presto audible warnings and directions comming out of all 4 speakers at 4x50 watts (Laughing Out Loud)..... note - you have to have an input on your stereo to do it.
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Volume on the 510 Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Here's an idea lads (and lasses), i have a Navman 510 (brilliant bit of kit)and find its not very loud, what iv'e done is use the earphone socket and put it through the auxilary input on the car stereo, hey presto audible warnings and directions comming out of all 4 speakers at 4x50 watts (Laughing Out Loud)..... note - you have to have an input on your stereo to do it.

. . . .and not too many radios have that. I have an adaptor I added to mine thru the cd head end port, but I'm using it for my satellite radio and my Navman ain't gettin' it!
I've found the volume is generally loud enough, male voice seems louder than female.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Volume on the 510 Reply with quote

. . . .and not too many radios have that. I have an adaptor I added to mine thru the cd head end port, but I'm using it for my satellite radio and my Navman ain't gettin' it!
I've found the volume is generally loud enough, male voice seems louder than female.[/quote]

ferret79, sort of off topic here, but could you explain what kind and how this adaptor works please.
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Volume on the 510 Reply with quote

djmek wrote:
I've found the volume is generally loud enough, male voice seems louder than female.

ferret79, sort of off topic here, but could you explain what kind and how this adaptor works please.[/quote]
sure.
Many recent model car radios are also head end controllers for a cd changer. You can usually tell by the markings on the radio, such as 'disc' selection, maybe some type of mode button or something. If so there is probably a port on the back of the radio for a connecting cable to the cd changer in the trunk, under the seat, whatever. This port carries the control signals from the radio to the changer, but also the line level audio from the changer to the radio. If the changer is not being used, you maybe can get an adaptor that will plug into the back of the radio and provide one or more rca plugs to act as auxiliary input for sat. radio, ipod, navman or whatever. Warning: not cheap; mine was about $70, but it is well worth it, the sound quality is excellent.
I don't know where you are, but in the states, I got mine from www.installer.com . I believe it is a P.I.E. unit, www.pie.net.
you just have to do a search for your vehicle to see if one is available for that radio. Another warning. If you are not sure what the connector looks like on the back of the radio, pull it out and physically look at it to match it up with the adaptor cable. There were two types for my Chrysler Sebring, I almost bought the wrong one.
Again, your radio has to be a head end controller for these things to work.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just get one of these.

Click here.

I use a wired type (which is the only legal type) that intercepts my radio antenna lead on my bike as it's a permanent fitting but I use a wireless type for throwing into the car which has my MP3 player plugged into it.

They're magic. (or is it mirrors)?

(Edited by Tim to shrink the long URL.)
jimg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShirleyTemple wrote:
Or just get one of these.

Click here.

I use a wired type (which is the only legal type) that intercepts my radio antenna lead on my bike as it's a permanent fitting but I use a wireless type for throwing into the car which has my MP3 player plugged into it.

They're magic. (or is it mirrors)?

Well I don't know about the UK, but in the US it's nearly impossible to find a clear frequency to use an FM modulator, so you almost always get interference. The only way I was able to get any success at all was by taking off my antenna (ariel). Then I couldn't listen to my FM radio at all which, in reality, the reason I got the satellite radio in the first place is because the FM stations are crap!!!!!

(Tim had to edit this one, too.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: