Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best way to use detailed maps and trunk road maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to use detailed maps and trunk road maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Best way to use detailed maps and trunk road maps Reply with quote

In the Mapsonic manual there is an example where detailed maps are cut which are superimposed on a larger trunk road map (eg Ipswich and Blackpool on manual page 44). I can't understand why one would do that. In Mapsonic one can only calculate a route between two points on the map that one has loaded. It the journey is long and one has cut a trunk-roads-only map, then these points would have to be on a trunk road, even if one has also cut a detailed map for the areas of the depart or arrival.

I tried it and that seems to be the case. My departure point was a back-street address in an area covered by both a detailed map and a trunk road map that I had cut to SD card, but appearing on only the detailed map. When the trunk road map was loaded I could not define the back-street address. I don't know if it would be different if I'd moved all three maps to RAM.

Can anyone improve my understanding of this?
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to do is in Mapstore build a single composite map which has both the trunk road only piece and also the detailed maps for the start and end location rather than navigating between different maps which is not possible.

In the export to pda option you can cut multiple segments and each one is listed in the window to the right of the map, (displayed if you click on the "spanner" icon). Trick is to select the whole area covering start and finish and route in between. Then select the selection tool again and select the first area you want the more detailed map of (eg the start) then repeat for the destination or as many other detailed areas you require. Once all are selected double click on the first co-ordinates in the RH window and de-select polygons and select trunk roads only then select export to PDA

This same process can be used to bulid a smaller map covering a specific route which is not a straight vertical or horizontal line, but be sure to slightly overlap each box so as not to lose any part of the route.

Hope this helps
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly as described, what I do is have the entire UK with 'main roads only' and no polygons (about 10Mb), then have an area with streets and polygons covering my usual covered area.

In pic the red box is the detail zone, the bigger black area (mostly unseen) is main roads only.

All your POI's etc are global across all your seperate 'maps', so can still be used.

I have 3 main maps on my SD card, all have full UK main roads, and then a third of the country as a second section with streets and polygons, north, south-east, and south-west, this keeps each map below 70Mb which I find works best for my Zire 31 bundle.
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. I think I get it now.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not fantastically obvious, but if you click the spanner you see a list of your 'boxes' on the left and can double click to highlight the box concerned and change the level of detail for it.

You can create any number of boxes by clicking the box icon on left then drawing the box, and you can remove a box by clicking the button to the right of it when box is highlighted.

My 'usual' map has about 15 different boxes on it, with full detail around places I visit often.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: