Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommend car cradle for Fortuna and hx4700?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend car cradle for Fortuna and hx4700?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vormulac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Recommend car cradle for Fortuna and hx4700? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a car cradle for my Ipaq 4700 and newly acquired Fortuna Clip-On?

I would rather have one that suctions onto the windscreen I think (ease of moving to another vehicle) and it should ideally allow both units to be powered.

On an unrelated issue, in the box for the Fortuna was something that wasn't mentioned on the 'box contents' list and I can't imagine what it is - it looks like a rectangular piece of plastic several mm thick and probably 3 x 6 cm in size. It has the Fortuna Clip-On logo on one side and the other is covered in what looks like an adhesive backed foam layer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers all.

V.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mystery object is a very useful magnet. If you place the GPS on the logo surface, it'll stick. I use mine for mounting my Clip On in car - it's stuck to the top of my Brodit ProClip.

For mounts, I was going to suggest a Brodit mount, but they're best installed into a vehicle using a ProClip and left there semi-permanently. You can use Brodit Move Clips if you want to move one mount between several vehicles. As an alternative, if you can find something to mount to your windscreen that has a plate that you can screw the Brodit mount to, it would work.

For the GPS, you could use the Brodit mount that has a 6 pin mini-DIN socket in a little box part way along the lead for connecting either a wired GPS or a Bluetooth GPS. You plug in a cable that connects the power pins in that socket to your Clip On (as I believe Darren does).

My solution is slightly different - my accessory feed wired in behind my dashboard goes into a 2 pin cigarette lighter adapter into which both a car adapter for the Clip On and the Brodit mount's power adapter are plugged. As the whole lot is hidden behind the dashboard, it doesn't matter.

David
Vormulac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha! A magnet, that would make sense indeed! Thanks for that.

As an aside, I have used my new GPS set up several times over the last couple of days and have to say that I've been enormously impressed (although without a car mount I had to make do with my ipaq screaming instructions at me from the passenger seat! Laughing

I did find somewhere that it was wrong though, it was one exit out on a roundabout, there being one more road involved than TomTom thought there was! Is there somewhere to report these discrepancies?

Cheers!

V.
Redbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Seidio mount and am VERY satisfied with it. The amplification is excellent using it with my 4700 and there is a power cable available with the mount which powers my clipon nicely. I use the vent mount clip on one car and the window sunction mount in the other. Both come with the Seidio. :D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can report map errors via My TomTom on the TomTom web site.

David
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a "free cruiser" for my 4700 - it works great - got it off e-bay for £34 incl postage - its amplified, will accept a serial connected GPS and is secure once attached - try looking for vita.systems they are based in Southampton if you are interested - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: