Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking for: An app. that will turn my Pocket PC into a GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for: An app. that will turn my Pocket PC into a GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryd1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Looking for: An app. that will turn my Pocket PC into a GPS Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new in this Forum so please excuse me if I posted the following in a wrong room.

I have an iPAQ h2210 which came with a Bluetooth GPS (Leadtek) and navigation app. covering Skandinavia (Route66). That all works great, but...

Now that I have a GPS I would like to take advantage of ALL what such wonderfull piece of equipment can offer.
Basically I'm looking for an app. that can show the same information as a "normal" GPS (Garmin for example):
- Position in various systems (MGRS-New, Latitude/Longitude etc.)
- Altimeter (meters/feet)
- Compas (which direction I'm moving)
- Make and save own waypoints
- Maybe even showing a simple drawing of the world (coastline only). But with no fancy road maps and navigation system since I allready have that.

I know that Garmin offers an app. for Pocket PC's wich covers the above. But then you of course have to buy the Garmin CF card GPS ($268) as well. Since I allready have the GPS, this purchase would be....well, insane!
I have downloaded and tried the shareware "GPSDash". This program pretty much covers my needs. But I still think $19 for full funktionality is too much since I don't need the map funktion that GPSDash provides (all ready got Route66 with navigator).

Do you know where to get a "simple" and cheap GPS software for my Pocket PC?
Thanks!

Thomas
Denmark
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have $600+ worth of hardware and think $19 is too much to spend on software to make use of all this?

Vito Technology's Vito Navigator is a popular app that has full handheld GPS functionality but then that's $16. To be honest, apart from a utility that gives you your Lat/Lon there are no applications that provide the sort of functionality you're after for free.
ryd1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax Darren!

First of all - I bought my equipment (iPAQ, GPS and Route66) on sale for little over $500. You can of course still compare that amount to $19 if that gets your blood pumping, but just to set things straight.
Second - Comparred (if I really have to!) to all other kinds of brilliant FREE applications you can find if you give it a try, I really don't think what I'm asking for is anything near too much.
Third - $1 or $50 doesn't really matter. I'm the type of person who don't just buy stuff right away without checking if it comes cheaper or better some where else.

Maybe you're right that I was aiming too high here, but you don't win if you don't gamble...

Now, are there others who have any (constructive) suggestions?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that wasn't meant to come across so harshly! Vito Navigator is a constructive answer to your query as is possibly OziExplorer, GPS is still a niche market, the functionality you search for is an even smaller subset so there is little incentive to authors to produce such apps so the choice is still limited.
ryd1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Vito Navigator was a constructive suggestion (forgot to give you credit for that), and I will have a closer look at OziExplorer.

You are probably right about the niche market, and therefor the lack of authors. I just thought - the brilliance of the GPS concept lies in sattelites 20.000 kilometres above and in the reciever devices. The applications (I'm looking for) just transforms the information to position in various formats, altitude, bearing, speed and time.

Thank you for the two suggestions and for the reminder on "demand and supply".

Thomas
Denmark
craigaucott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryd1976 - Check your PM. 8O
RumJungle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Try:
VisualGPSce: http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/default.htm (it's free)

BeeLineGPS: http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/default.htm Makes your PPC look like a hand held GPS -- supports waypoints and tracks. Blurb: http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/npa.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: