Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ipaq 2210 switch on - everything gone!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq 2210 switch on - everything gone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: ipaq 2210 switch on - everything gone! Reply with quote

Twice now in the last month my 2210 has lost everything for no apparent reason. Last time switched off fine everything working. Next time switch on and little cross in the middle of the screen 'tap with stylus' etc i.e. a complete fresh start - everything gone!
Fortunately now having read this forum I have sprite backup and can do a complete restore.
Is this complete loss a regular occurence with 2210s.

ipaq 2210
256Mb CD card
TTN3 3.03 (417)
TTN GPS 3.03 415/408
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are you leaving it for? If you are leaving it for several days then the battery is probably going flat.

If you're only leaving it for a day or two, then something is wrong. When you turn it off, are you holding down the button or just tapping it? Holding it down will turn off the backlight (you may well know this already!)

Also, if you have it set to never power off unless you press the button and you have an appointment set, the PDA will wake up to display the appointment and then never go back to sleep again, which will drain the battery.

Just a few thoughts.
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej,

No, not the battery. I'm talking - off one night, on the next day - powers up OK but everything gone. HP should be collecting it 2day to have a look.

Tx for the reply.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an XDA-II on my desk that does that every time you turn it off Crying or Very sad
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2210 had the same problem, it gradually got worse until it wouldn't work on battery at all. Eventually HP replaced it (the entire thing, including battery)
shammy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem myself last Thursday (it's now Wednesday pm) - left TomTom running in the car while I went back indoors to collect something I had forgotten, when I got back to the car my iPaq had switched itself off and wouldn't come back on again.

Tried a soft reset - but every damn thing I had ever stored on the device had been lost, so the soft reset turned out to be a hard one!

I've put it down to a burst of static wiping the memory - for want of any better explanation. My car has certainly been sparking at me a lot lately

But it's proving hard to get TomTom working again properly - and I need my satnav by tomorrow evening at the latest! It's asking me for a product code and then the product code I have isn't working, needless to say all my favourites have vanished into the ether ... arrggghghghghgh!

All suggestions/observations gratefully received as ever!

Shammy
Running iPaq 1940
TomTom Navigator
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shammy,

Too late now to help you now, but for others - keep your favourites in a POI file, call it 'favourites' or something, and if you feel confident replace the black star on a yellow square with a simple BMP file 22 pixels square. These live on your storage card

The second thing is get a decent back-up also stored on your storage card. I use Sprite back-up, an excellent programme that cost only $10.

Any problems, just hard reset and load the executable back-up file.

Activation codes, you can obtain from www.ttcode.com.

Regards,

Steve
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try www.ttcode.com I shouldn't have put a full stop at the end!! Rolling Eyes
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fixed your original post.

It's worth knowing that, if you leave BBCode on, you can wrap a URL in [url][/url] - for example, [url]www.ttcode.com[/url], and then punctuate your post as you choose without affecting the URL.

There's all sorts of clever thigngs you can do with BBCode - if you click the underlined "BBCode" under where it says Options in the editor, you'll be taken to the FAQ.

David
Filler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: ipaq 2210 and TT3 Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

My losses everything, if you turn hit soft reset with the screen on or a program running.

I bought Sprite backup, but last time that would not restore it to bootable condition, I would restore from sprite, perform a soft reset and get stuck with boot screen.
HP are adamant it is a TT problem, with a final conflict.

These days i dont store anything on my ipaq, i just use it for nav, which is a pain.

Blackberry Storm
iphone 3gs

Kenwood 5520bt with garmin built in
TT wired GPS - Rikaline Bluetooth 6030 GPS - CF307 CF card GPS - 512mb sd card - sprite full updated, and tt3 , 3.07. 256mb CF card - Win XP SP2 upgrad
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have purchased Sprite, load the latest update from the website . Early versions had the same problem with backing up TTBTDEV.DLL file. It has been fixed now. The latest version is 3.1.4

Don't forget to remove the old copy from your desktop PC......

Steve
Filler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: sprite backup Reply with quote

8)
thanks for the info - on the case

Blackberry Storm
iphone 3gs

Kenwood 5520bt with garmin built in
TT wired GPS - Rikaline Bluetooth 6030 GPS - CF307 CF card GPS - 512mb sd card - sprite full updated, and tt3 , 3.07. 256mb CF card - Win XP SP2 upgrad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Steve said, Sprite Backup 3.1.4 (assuming you've purchased the upgrade) should fix the restore problems on the iPAQ h2210, though you may also need to upgrade to TomTom GPS 3.07 (free download from the TomTom web site) for reliable restores.

There's no fix for the built in iPAQ Backup, which is an older version of Sprite Backup.

David
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filler,

If you have paid for the programme, updates are free - just use the same authentication code.
As you have a wired GPS, you could just untick the file TTBTDEV.DLL file in the PDA Windows directory within the file back-up programme - this is the one that causes the hard reset problems, and it only really matters if to have a BT GPS.

Hope this helps,

Steve.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...looking back at your sig, you have both, then it does matter...oh well, get the Sprite update loaded!!

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: