Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Exitiing program : Smart ST Version 3 for Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Exitiing program : Smart ST Version 3 for Pocket PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Exitiing program : Smart ST Version 3 for Pocket PC Reply with quote

Hi,

I have Smart ST Version 3 with SP1 installed on my Ipaq H5550 running Pocket PC 2003, and Navman's 3450 SE GPS Jacket.

The software runs pretty well, but I have a problem when trying to exit, in that it appears to keep running in the background ( is this what they call Terminate & Stay Resident or "TSR" Confused )

If I click on the "X" ( Top right of screen ) to close the program it appears to close but is still shown in the list of running programs.

If I then try and start the program again, maybe because I got to my destination and closed the program, then wanted to plan another trip and tried to open it again, I get an error message that says "Exiting Application" and it won't run. I then usually have to perform a soft reset of the Ipaq to get it to run properly again.

The only way I have found to avoid this is if each time I have finished with the program I close it down with the "X" then close it "completely" by going to Start / Settings / System / Memory / Running Programs, highlight Smart ST and click "Stop"

Needless to say this is very tedious :x - does anyone else have this problem ?

Surely the program should either close completely when asked, or if it stays "resident" then it should open up again when asked ???

Any advice or suggestions appreciated, and if there isn't a known fix, does anyone know a way of programming a button that could be placed on the Ipaq Welcome screen that could be clicked as a shortcut to access the "Start / Settings / System / Memory / Running Program list Idea ???

Cheers,

Coconut
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at vbar or wisbar.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coconut,

Tapping the 'x' on a PPC merely minimises the program rather than terminate it. This can be frustrating as you say, because we are so used to the 'x' in Windows on the PC terminating a program.

Vbar or WisBar are add-on task managers that allow you, amongst many other features, to configure the 'x' on the PPC to behave in the same way as on a PC so that tapping it will kill the program.
Quote:
if there isn't a known fix, does anyone know a way of programming a button that could be placed on the Ipaq Welcome screen that could be clicked as a shortcut to access the "Start / Settings / System / Memory / Running Program list ???

There is already a way to do this. You can use the 'I Task' button - the one on the right with the curly arrow. This is the iPAQ Task Manager. Pressing this will bring up a list of all currently running programs. Simply tap and hold any of the programs in the list and a menu will appear which will allow you the option of closing that task or all tasks so you can close down any running program with one press and two taps.

I am wondering, as you are asking for details of how to assign a shortcut, if that button has been assigned to another function?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Cheers everyone ! Reply with quote

Thanks for the help folks - have downloaded Wisbar which does what I want and more...

.... So that's what "iTask" does !!! ( New I shoudl have spent longer reading the Manual ) - Yes I had re assigned that button to open Smart ST but have now assigned it elsewhere - thanks for the advice Wink

I still think it's a bit lame though that when you try and close the program from its own Exit "X" - the program stays resident and then you can't re-open it again quickly without getting an error message that then shuts it down ! :x
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi coconut. I have the same setup as you and I don't have any problems doing exactly what you appear not to be able to do. I have assigned Button 3 to start SmartST and when I've finished, I just tap the X to minimise it and then press Button 3 again when ~I want to restart it. I've never had the error message you report.

One thing which is different between our two setups, though, is that I don't use a CF card any more. I did find after a bit of experimentation that its use was causing the occasional lockup. I wonder if this could be the cause of your problems, too? Have you ever had any other untoward lockups? Is it worth trying to run SmartST without the CF card in the sleeve and then minimise and try to restart?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning,

Quote:
I still think it's a bit lame though that when you try and close the program from its own Exit "X" - the program stays resident and then you can't re-open it again quickly without getting an error message that then shuts it down !
I have just switched on my iPAQ and can see the Today screen.
When I pressed the iTask button it told me that SmartST was still running. If I hit the button I assigned to SmartST, the program pops up on the last view before I shut it down. In other words if it was in map view then when I switch back on and launch the program it opens in map view.
I get the same if I use iTask, tapping SmartST in the list re-opens it.
The same should be happening for you if the program is just minimised.
I can't explain the error.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can very well confirm that the functionality for exiting and/or returning to SmartST V3 isn't working as it should - not for me at least. We had a discussion about this last week in this thread and apparently the problems are only occurring for some users...

My current setup is an iPAQ 2210 with SmartST V3 and a wired Onyx GPS Mouse. I have one HW button assigned for the GPS receiver driver application (I have intentionally disabled the plug-and-play feature) and another one for SmartST for quick access. My typical way of using the system is as follows:

* Start the GPS receiver with the therefore assigned HW button
* Wait for GPS fix
* Launch SmartST V3 with its HW button and make sure the GPS status screen it indicates 3D fix
* Set my route

This generally works fine, until I decide to, temporarely, switch to another application during the trip (e.g the GPS driver application). If I do that and then want to return to SmartST it appears to have been shut down and I have to wait for it to restart. This is VERY annoying.

So, I actually have two problems with SmartST V3; one that it shuts down when it shouldn't (when I switch to another application) AND another one that it won't shut down when it should (i.e when I select close down in the pop-up menu).

I'm very curious about why this is happening!!!
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I haven't yet tried the suggestion of running without the CF card to see if that is the problem - I have the map data stored on this card so there doesn't seem to be any point in running without it !

I will, when I get chance, reconfigure my setup and install the maps onto the SD card of the Ipaq and see what effect that has. With my limited technical knowledge though, I would have thought it better to have the maps loaded onto the Memory Card which is Integral to the Navman device, i.e. the CF Card.

I know some people have had problems with "Slow" memory cards so maybe it is the card itself causing the problem -

I Wouldn't have a clue about how to tell what speed my CF card is - It is a "SanDisk" 512MB CompactFlash card - on the back it is marked with "SDCFB" if that helps to identify it ????
pellis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Isn't this the way Windows Pocket PC is supposed to work? Reply with quote

The problems described here sound to me like the way Windows on the Pocket PC is supposed to work. Clicking on the X suspends the program, it doesn't terminate it, the operating system decides when to do that - it is the same for all programs not just SmartST. SmartST is quite a large program so when you switch to another program it is quite likely that the operating system with remove it from memory to make room for the new program, again it is not SmartST's fault.

To terminate the SmartST tap and hold on the map and then select 'Exit Program' rather than tapping the X.

Paul
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Isn't this the way Windows Pocket PC is supposed to work Reply with quote

pellis wrote:
SmartST is quite a large program so when you switch to another program it is quite likely that the operating system with remove it from memory to make room for the new program, again it is not SmartST's fault.

Yeh, it's a large program, BUT it's not so big that 27 MB of free program memory (in my case ) shouldn't be enough for it to keep running even after I launch e.g Calender. Note that I have only the map regions for Sweden activated. I'm pretty sure that there are memory leaks in SmartST that make Pocket PC shut down the application. Navman has confirmed that there is an interoperability problem between SmartST V3 and iPAQ 2210 and says they are working on a solution for this togheter with HP. They have however been working on this solution since March, when I contacted the for first time regarding this, and I have still not seen any SW patch (I emailed them earlier this week). Well, I have learned to live with the situation. As long as I soft-reset my PDA before I launch SmartST and never change to another application during a trip, it generally works fine for me. But the lack of response from Navman doesn't impress me at all.

Cheers,

Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: