Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna Clip On, IPAQ 1945 and TomTom 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna Clip On, IPAQ 1945 and TomTom 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Fortuna Clip On, IPAQ 1945 and TomTom 3 Reply with quote

I've got a clip on Fortuna GPS which I'm trying to connect to an IPAQ 1945 running TomTom 3 (updated).
I'm having problems getting a connection I've paired the devices and the bluetooth link is made, through bluetooth port 5 using TomTom wireless device, but the following is happening.
Using ST mode I can link to the PDA and get a gps connection but the Fortuna doesn't get a satellite connection.
Using the XT mode the Fortuna aquires a satellite connection but won't connect to the PDA through the gps connection.
I live in Glasgow where I am is fairly high up with a good clear sky so i should get good satellite reception.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome

The correct settings in TomTom GPS are "TomTom Wireless GPS" and whatever COM port is your outgoing Bluetooth serial port (check in the Bluetooth Manager if you're not sure).

If you move the mode switch, it can take some time for the GPS to get a lock; leave it for 15 minutes with a good view of the sky and see then what you've got. You don't need a Bluetooth connection for this - just leave the GPS switched on and wait for the middle light to turn green.

I'd slide the mode switch one more time, leave the GPS switched on and stationary with a good view of the sky for 15 minutes, and see what happens then.

David
Nog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help I tried it and it worked fine, perhaps the thick cloud and heavy rain were knocking things off.
It still won't connect in XT mode though, is this a common problem with TomTom and XT?
David :D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XT mode should work in TomTom Navigator.

I'd be surprised if you could get a Bluetooth connection in ST mode and not in XT mode. If, however, the problem is that you don't have a fix in XT mode, it's probably just a question of setting the GPS to XT mode and leaving it with a clear view of the sky for a while; the chances are that the stored data in XT mode is corrupt and this should sort it out.

David
Nog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on :D
Many thanks for your help
Hopefully I'll now be able to find my way around
David K
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

did you get anywhere with this? I am seeing the same behaviour since upgrading my clip on.

If I use ST mode my ipaq 2210 with TomTom can see the GPS device, I get the little black dots running between the sat logo and the tomtom logo in GPS status.

If I switch to XT mode then it appears TomTom cannot see the GPS device at all, althought both bluetooth lights flicker.

Weird, and it was the v2 XT mode that I wanted!!

cheers,

greg
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and this was using TomTom wireless GPS, in XT mode I have tried SRIF and NMEA using many different combinations including bluetooth, and varios serial options Sad
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sods law just kicked in!

I'd tried everything, battery out overnight etc, but still no joy. I switched to ST mode, got connected, switched off the clip on, switched to XT, switched back on and TomTom connected first time!!!

:D

cheers,

greg

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: