Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co-Pilot 5 V ...30 (Latest Version as of Dec2004)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-Pilot 5 V ...30 (Latest Version as of Dec2004)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Co-Pilot 5 V ...30 (Latest Version as of Dec2004) Reply with quote

I am using Co-pilot5 with the Mitac Mio168 and have experienced persistent problems wiyh POI alerts.

After a few weeks usre and approx 3000miles I have now noted the following:

POI alerts only activate if copilot has performed a route calculation whilst en-route (e.g. a wrong turn or I've taken an alternative route to the one Co-pilot suggested.) After a route calculation all enabled POIs work accurately until I hit a couple of know area where the guidance stops for a couple of miles (even though my map position is correct). After this the only way to re-start POI alerts is to take a wrong turn!

I haven't found a more convenient way of triggering the POI alerts before I've started my journey.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have discussed this with ALK and ave been sending them my GPS tracks but so far no feedback due to their tech support backlog.

I'm really impressed by the Mio168 Laughing and Co-Pilots Navigation Smile , but the POI alerts are important to me as it was one of my reasons for making the investment and therefore has tainted my view of Co-Pilot a little Sad .

By the way, this forum has been a great source of info - well done to those involved in its creation and management! Laughing Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Co-Pilot 5 V ...30 (Latest Version as of Dec2004) Reply with quote

Snowy wrote:
POI alerts only activate if copilot has performed a route calculation whilst en-route

Has anyone else had this problem? I have discussed this with ALK and ave been sending them my GPS tracks but so far no feedback due to their tech support backlog.

Hello and Welcome

Yes, this is one of the many well known problems with CoPilot. I don't know why ALK are asking for your tracklogs because the POI alerts not working is a well known bug. (Not saving tracklogs properly is another bug by the way)

Count yourself lucky that their tech support even replied to you... 8O
Snowy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy for the info.

Re ALK Support: They have had me jumping through hoops reformatting my SD card, completely removing Co-pilot and re-installing from scratch. I've been told that the version I have shouldn't have these bugs that I had noted in the forum from last year, although their tech support people suggested that there were no bugs!

I had to be persistent to get through to ALK and was only successful by phoning them. Rolling Eyes

Thinking of asking for a refund as it doesn't do what it says on the tin!

If I get any more info I'll let you know.

Cheers

Skippy. 8)
Bigwig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some experimenting with different settings for the POI Alerts I've found the best setting it 0.5 miles ahead and the 3rd mark from the left on the "Report POIs which are" slider. This gives enough warning for speed cameras on 70MPH dual A-roads.

Also have recently purchased an external GPS antenna which gives me a much better GPS signal and seems to give a much better chance of getting the alerts. I am now wondering if Copilot sometimes didn't have a very good fix on my position and actually thought I was anywhere near the POI when I passed it (in the navigating mode the white position arrow would sometimes be way off the road).

I don't know if anyone else agrees with this?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: