Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS mouse help/info
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS mouse help/info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b101uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: GPS mouse help/info Reply with quote

Hi

I am in need of a GPS mouse or similar to run on a laptop PC with the following free ports ---- 1 USB port, 1 DB9 com port and 1 PS/2 port, (preference = USB device / data TX RX, power)

The environment for use is your average UK countryside --- NOT including large towns or cities, as I don’t have that requirement, I require a reasonably high degree of horizontal/vertical accuracy at <25mph ~10mph typical or stationery, given the CEP of GPS.

Its data format must be NEMA 0183 (GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, RMC, VTG = minimum) + any proprietary format.

It must be capable of PPS @ 1hz or more, and be user selectable on/off/rate.

It must support SBAS, and be user selectable on/off.

Baud rates should be user selectable, even for a USB device.

Datum used should be user selectable, as most of my GIS/mapping data uses ones other than WGS84 and OSGB.

NEMA sentences should be able to be turned off/on at a hardware level via a RX command.

The ability to force 2D/3D mode.

It must be water proof and capable of temporary internal/external vehicle fitting, i.e. magnet.

The software to configure the receiver must be on the driver CD, makers website or freely available on the web and MUST work.

Must cost <£150

FYI: I tried a “Haicom HI-204E” (USB) witch worked well, but contrary to the maker’s clams in the user manual (paper/.pdf) was unable to output GLL & VTG or PPS, as the firmware default’s them to the off state, and neither the supplier, Haicom or Evermore were able to give me the software to enable them, so it was returned.

Thanks for any info/help you wish to impart

Mark
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe is a high end professional receiver. Your budget is insufficient for that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
b101uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

err the "GARMIN GPS 16" is capable of the above at a price of £139.95 incl. VAT, how ever it has an RJ45 conection, but no USB addapters are listed Sad.

And I have not been able to find a user review of one,

FYI: I have access to an old sub-meter survey unit, how ever its more suited to stationery application.

thanks

Mark
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a USB>serial adapter and rewire the RJ45 to DB9 then you can use the Garmin on your USB port.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: