Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD-501 & hp2210 weird problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD-501 & hp2210 weird problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djbabyboom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: SD-501 & hp2210 weird problem Reply with quote

Just purchased SD-501 along with Tomtom 3 UK a day before. Worked as it should yesterday and when I first took it to hit the road this morning... the rest was silence. The redlight is on, GPS Info correctly identified COM7, the baud rate is 4800... nothing. Clicking on Start GPS does not result commands sent/received to the device as it just used to be a day ago and consequently this prospective x-mas gift has become completely useless.

Worried about impending long journey right after the Christmas, I have done the following on the 2210:
1) updated ROM to 1.10;
2) updated SDIO Driver Update from HP (SP27102.exe)...

Nothing.

Help me please!
djbabyboom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typed the original message quite frustrated, I omitted to mention these points:
1) yesterday, the ipaq was switched off with everything working OK;
2) this morning when I switched it on, the GPS device has been speechless;
3) Having initially set up GPS driver and GPS Info, I tested it all and everything worked as it should - although a first fix took around 20 minutes inside a house;
4) then I set up Tomtom 3 UK and it also used to be OK;
5) on this screen of GPS Info, the commands box is now became always blank regardless of Start / Close GPS sent:

6) the COM port is 7 MANF-0501-CARD.. the baudrate is 4800.

Help please.
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been having much the same experience as you and it is difficult trying to find some consistent reason for a slow lock-on during the initial start. I’ve found the most reliable way of getting the SD501 going is as follows:

I do a soft reset before the first use of the day. Then I make sure the SD501 is inserted in the 2210 before launching TTN3, otherwise on the TTN3 GPS Status page there will usually be no “travelling dots” showing that the system is trying to lock on to the satellites.

I’m now finding, contrary to my initial experience, that the slip-on aerial provided makes a huge difference to reception. Just a pity that when installed it makes getting the stylus out of its stowage rather difficult. I don’t even look at the GPS Info page now – as far as I can make out, provided you set everything up when you bought the kit, when using TTN3 this GPS Info page shouldn’t need touching or amending.

If I haven’t used the kit for a few days it can take me up to 15 minutes or so to get an initial lock. What I don’t understand is that the GPS Status page in TTN3 can be showing 10 greyed out satellites within 30 seconds of switching on, but it can be up to 15 minutes before 3 or 4 of them turn red and a lock-on is achieved.

Also with only 4 satellites locked on I find that the road alignment change as you go round bends is appallingly slow (I had a TT Bluetooth receiver before it failed outside warranty and it was miles better in this respect) and also with 4 satellites locked on then the position underrun when stopping can be in the order of 200 yards or more. With 8 satellites none of these problems exist.

What I do find impressive is being able to take the 2210/SD501 combination out of my Brodit mount and put it in the glove compartment while I go into a shop for ten minutes and it is still locked on when I come back!

Once the SD501 gets going and has a strong signal it works well, but in my experience getting it going, especially on the first start of the day, can be problematic. I'm not a techie person so hope this all makes sense!
djbabyboom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a comprehensive response... Mine simply doesn't do anything either in GPS info or in TT3... Have sent it back today to PDAMODS for replacement - will see if they can deliver it before x-mas a present for which this device has been meant!

I am worried that despite many good reviews SD-501 being new on the market is actually quite soggy stuff... Ideally suiting to 2210 due to both slots SD and CF available, there is lots of tailoring has yet to be made.
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in how you get on with the replacement kit - if it's consistently better then I might return mine under warranty to easydevices as I can't believe it should be so inconsistent on cold start-ups.

I've had my 2210 for about 16 months now, but I presume HP still supply a rather tacky protection sleeve for it? Fortunately I didn't thow mine away - it's perfect for keeping the SD-501, complete with the slip-on aerial flattened out, safe in your pocket when away from the car!
mhgjeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: sd-501 problems Reply with quote

Chaps,

My start up is a bit slow 2 to 3 minutes, I have had no problems getting it to work and it test out fine with the gpsinfo test, of course I've found that this does not let the ttn gps work at the same time. If you remove your card, please check that ttn gps has picked up your sd card, as this can be a little slow. The check box does and not always get enabled within ttn gps which may be worth checking. it works fine with an hx 4700 and all the tt/gps info on cf.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: