Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Advice? Reply with quote

Hello been playing about with my pocket and wanted to know how do i set up a internet connection on it? is there anything i can sign up for? When i conect it to my pc it uses the internet that way but wanted it wireless?

Also i have been looking at the information on this site about uploading a speed detector program but how does this work also? and how i go about uploading it? its a medion MDPPC250 pocket PC! Any help would be appriciated

Nathan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your options for an Internet connection are, unless I'm mistaken, pretty limited, as the Medion hardware doesn't have built in Bluetooth, which is the usual way of connecting through a mobile phone.

I believe people have got SDIO Wi-Fi cards working with the MDPPC250. Add on Bluetooth hardware is often troublesome, and you can only have one card in your SD slot at once (there are some SDIO Wi-Fi cards that include some memory as well as the Wi-Fi hardware).

Have a hunt in the Navigon forum for information on the Navigon version of POI Warner; most Medion packages use Navigon software. Speed camera software for TomTom won't work on Navigon.

David
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks david thats great, im looking into these card things for them!

Also brought the poi warner application and download the database for it using someones "how to" on here which was perfect! Just got to try it out!Briliant site!! Thanks again! Wink

Nathan
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David is quite right, there is no bluetooth on the Medion PPC250, however it does have infra red comms, which, if your mobile phone is also capable of, will get you connected. I use mine in conjuction with a Nokia 6310i (which also has a built in modem) and can connect either by using my Tesco dial up account over GSM, very slow, but does the job at a push, and ok for sending the odd email or two. Or I can connect via GPRS over the Vodafone network, which is quicker and suitable for a bit more activity, but in my personal opinion, neither is really suitable for day to day use, as they are expensive and both relatively slow. I haven't tried an HSCSD connection so I don't know whether thats any better or not, but I believe that to be even more expensive! If your company's paying then fine, but if you have to fund it yourself it will probably be cost prohibitive. I have used my GPRS connection in the car to book a room at Travel Inn once or twice and also look up addresses and the like on the move and found it a real boon.

Again David has his finger on the button and you can purchase SDIO WiFi cards (with on board memory, usefull for downloads) so that you can connect to Lan's and WiFi hot spots such as Starbucks, although I don't know what the cost implication of connecting to them is. as an aside on the WiFi front, I haven't had my Sandisk WiFi card very long, and as an experiment I parked up at a local housing estate and fired up the WiFi card and found 6 unsecured networks straight away!!
I was really gobsmacked, I'd thought it was people exagerating about the number of unsecured networks, but not so it appears. Obviously I can't condone this sort of behaviour, but I'm sure there are people out there who are using soemone else's network without their knowledge right this minute.

You can get POI Warner working ok with your PPC, it works a treat with the speed camera database here, which is very good. It means a little more work to convert the files but it's easier than it sounds once you get going. I'll have a look round and see if I can find the thread that I followed to get mine up and running.

I think I've rambled on enough now Embarassed
(still full of beer from last night and today, promotes verbal diarhoea!)

Jon.
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that jon!! Im going to give it a hot with my mobile phone!

Also got the POI Warner on mine now! With the database from here, just need to test it out! Wink
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may still be working off last night's beer, Jon - but that was a comprehensive answer.

There's no point trying HSCSD on Vodafone; no dial up speeds faster than 9600bps are supported. If a dial-up ISP has a number that supports ISDN V.110 you may get a faster connection by dialling that number with an Extra dial-up string of:

+CBST=71,0,1

but that's the best you can do.

The only UK network that supports HSCSD is Orange. 14400bps is the same price as a voice call - they support 19200bps and 28800bps, but charge extra for those higher speed calls. In most cases for a Pocket PC user, GPRS is the best choice.

David
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i just been looking on my phone and it only has bluetooth, where as the medion doesnt so no luck there!
I have been looking at the sandisk cards im starting to undertsnad a bit more about it. There is just one thing does it only work in certain places? not everywhere u go? Confused
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wi-Fi only works when you're in range of a Wi-Fi network - including another device operating in ad-hoc mode.

Bluetooth only works with other Bluetooth devices, including a Bluetooth mobile phone.

Are you sure your phone doesn't have an infra-red port?

David
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that i know of! its the Nokia 7610? Confused
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nathan,

glad youv'e got POI Warner up and running. Are you aware the native files in the speed cam database need converting to work properly(assuming you're using Medion Navigator 3.1)? or are you using Tom Tom?

If not have a read of this thread http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7948 and also the thread off that, that Bo Peep points to, should keep you amused for a while.

This forum and site is an absolute mine of interesting and informative information, all the moderators and staff are also very clued up, as are most of the contributors (ok stop puffing your chests out), thats how I got my system sorted out.

David,
I don't think my Tesco account supports ISDN dial up, its a straight forward analogue connection to an 0845 number, I just keep it going for emergencies really (ie no network or GPRS).
Do you know any dial string extras for GPRS to improve the connection?

I don't know about me having verbal diarhoea, you guys were busy whilst I sloped off to watch the Vicar of Dibley :D
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hi Jon, Yeah i read a "how to", very similar where i had to get the files and convert them to 'ascii file' to work with the navigator 3.1! I hope this is right? It all seems to be working fine just need to go out now Laughing Out Loud and find a speed camera! Does it pick up mobile ones?

Nathan
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sounds like youv'e sorted it Thumbs Up

It doesn't actually "pick up" cameras, but frequently used mobile sites are included in the uk_mobile database, one of the files you will have converted from the main zip file.

Good luck with your search for a speed camera 8O
most of us try to avoid them :D

Jon
Nay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: