Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help with Smart ST 3 needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Smart ST 3 needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzaNW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Help with Smart ST 3 needed Reply with quote

Hi, new here and just bought a Navman Pin300 with SmartSt3. Playing about locally, as we all do I suspect, to test it, I am getting a few problems.
When I first get a position ref it comes up on the map with the name of my street and shows where I am.
If I try to input my address into it, say starting from somewhere else and wanting my address as the destination, it wont find it in the database.
Surely it must be there for it to come up on screen when I am sat outside my house.
I live in Denton Manchester and it doesn't even list Denton, it shows about 5 Denton's spread over UK but not the one in Manchester.
Is postcodes the only way to use this properly, has anyone else had the same problems?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Smart ST 3 needed Reply with quote

Hi bazzaNW, and Welcome

bazzaNW wrote:
Hi, new here and just bought a Navman Pin300 with SmartSt3. Playing about locally, as we all do I suspect, to test it, I am getting a few problems.
When I first get a position ref it comes up on the map with the name of my street and shows where I am.
If I try to input my address into it, say starting from somewhere else and wanting my address as the destination, it wont find it in the database.
Surely it must be there for it to come up on screen when I am sat outside my house.
I live in Denton Manchester and it doesn't even list Denton, it shows about 5 Denton's spread over UK but not the one in Manchester.
Is postcodes the only way to use this properly, has anyone else had the same problems?

Unfortunately the address lookup is influenced by the way that TeleAtlas supply the data. Often the name can only be found by putting the name of the council area into the 'Area' field. Looking on my version, I'd try putting 'Tameside, England' into the 'Area' field. If this isn't the right area, tap and hold your road and a menu will appear with the name of the road at the top. Tap this roadname and an Address menu will appear - use the topmost word as the 'Area' data and you'll probably get better search results. Not ideal I know, but apparently Navman are working on getting the search engine to perform more logically, as Tomtom did some time ago with TT3.
bazzaNW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks for that Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the info, but it still doesn't work putting Tameside as the area.
No matter what I try it will not find my street name.
Whilst I'm here I noticed a gatso camera that is missing from the list here in Denton. Do I just take a note of the long/lat reading and add it to the list.?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then, can you tell me your streetname, or one a couple of streets away if you're shy.

Send camera details to cameras@pocketgpsworld.com
bazzaNW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: street name Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

west park avenue, haughton green, denton, m34 7tg
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is another quirk of the search engine; I'm not sure if this fault is attributable to TeleAtlas or Navman. Anyway, where a road starts with East, West, North or South (and there may be other instances) then to search for the road, leave off the first word! For instance your road is found using Thameside as the area and typing in Park as the road. Scroll down the options that appear and the ones beginning with West will be at the bottom of the list.

Daft, I know, but it works.
bazzaNW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: just found it Reply with quote

I was searching for another street beginning with P when up popped west park avenue. Thanks a lot for your time

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: