Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth auto enable and setup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth auto enable and setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Bluetooth auto enable and setup Reply with quote

I'm enjoying playing with my new TTN2 with bluetooth GPS (the TT receiver), but have a query about setup of the bluetooth link. My system, BTW, is an iPAQ H5550 (Pocket Windows 2003, integrated Bluetooth).

When I want to use TTN2 I first have to enable BT on the handheld. Then when I start TTN2 the 'Bluetooth Console' comes up and prompts me as to which BT device I want to use (I have a phone as well as the GPS receiver). The devices are already paired, so once I select the GPS receiver we are in business.

This seems a waste of effort. What I'd really like is that when I start TTN2 it sutomatically turns BT on and automatically selects the GPS receiver. Am I missing something here?

Also, when I exit TTN2 (usually using the 'exit' button from the menu on the nav screen), BT remains on and I then have to manually turn it off to save battery power. This is particularly a nuisance in that I can't do it using my finger, but have to get out the stylus. Not something I want to faff with when I've just arrived at my destination and want to leave the car.

Any experts on TTN2 (or Pocket windows 2003) who know how to do the above? Or shall I post to the 'wishlist' thread?

Thanks,

Paul
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Bluetooth auto enable and setup Reply with quote

Yes I agree, it is a pain. WM2003 does this also. The older 3800 and 3900 iPAQ's didn't have this problem, you just started the BT stack once, then load the app and it bound and started talking. It's a shame Microsoft took a backward step in Bluetooth, but on the other hand it's more stable. It definately is a pain if you haven't got your BT GPS with you and you start TomTom Navigator, as you'll get about 5 Bluetooth screens pop up trying to search and connect to the BT GPS before you can say get into TomTom and change it to a different GPS receiver.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

This is the main reason I shall probably not bother upgrading(??) my 3970. I keep my BT switched on all the time (I use it with the phone a lot) and it's nice to just switch on my Emtac and start TTN2 to be up and running. That, added to the problems with stability I've heard about make me wonder why I would want to upgrade.
hornist
Regular Visitor

On the other hand, given the setup I described with two bluetooth devices, if I request to do a dial-up it still automatically uses the bluetooth phone, without asking me to choose.

So what's the difference between dial-up (which knows the right device to use) and TTN2 (which doesn't seem to be able to select the right device)?

Is there any significane in the fact that my 'TomTom Wireless GPS' in Bluetooth Browser has a blue question mark over the top of it. Is it a normal part of the logo, , or does it mean that the OS doesn't have a knon logo for it, or does it have some other special significance?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hollis, I will say although the nag screen to tap and select the BT GPS is annoying, I do much prefer this than switching on the iPAQ and having the BT Stack die and tell me it needs to restart. I'm not sure if this happens a lot on the 3970's, but it certainly does on the 3870's.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 06 August 2003

Hollis, I will say although the nag screen to tap and select the BT GPS is annoying, I do much prefer this than switching on the iPAQ and having the BT Stack die and tell me it needs to restart. I'm not sure if this happens a lot on the 3970's, but it certainly does on the 3870's.

It used to happen regularly with my 38xx. So far (after 10 months) it's done it twice on the 3970.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

That's good news. The Bluetooth stack complaining about being out of memory really used to annoy me. 90% of the time if you used the Pocket PC for SatNav it wasn't an issue, but as soon as you started loading other programs, like I used to run Pocket Music, that would frequently cause problems.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

So what guys is the blue '?' symbol on the device icon, as hornist asks?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It means it can see the device but isn't talking to it at the moment. e.g. no bonding.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

I may have missed this answer in another post....What is pairing?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Russ,

Pairing and bonding are the same thing. Basically both BT devices exchange a numerical passkey which allows them to connect to each other.

Some devices like the Emtac GPS and the Fortuna GPSmart have set passkey. Others such as Phones other PDAs and PCs allow you to enter your own passkeys and bond that way.

Pairing is also used for security whereby some devices will only allow access by paired devices.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: