Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WAAS not cooperating with my Ipaq 4705/Emtac BTGPS/Copilot 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WAAS not cooperating with my Ipaq 4705/Emtac BTGPS/Copilot 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: WAAS not cooperating with my Ipaq 4705/Emtac BTGPS/Copilot 5 Reply with quote

Hello from America,

Last time we spoke I asked about WAAS and how to use the Crux_View software to activate it for my Emtac receiver. Well, it was simpler than I thought to activate and I thought I was well on my way to blissful accuracy. How wrong I was.

After I activated WAAS through Crux_View (I actually set it to AUTO and the SBAS setting shouted AUTO!!!), each time I would set a new destination in CoPilot Live, my Ipaq 4705 would lock up. I mean lock up so I had to reset it. After about 10 times of resetting, I used Crux_View to reset my Emtac and changed the SBAS setting to OFF. It now seems to be working OK, but I plan to go out tonight and do a real "test drive" changing destinations while driving, etc.

My baud rate is at 38,400 and I'm on Com 8 - I'm pretty sure these are correct. I also made sure the CoPilot software reflected the correct baud rate. Any ideas why WAAS doesn't want to work on my Ipaq? Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Gary
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBAS has nothing to do with the Pocket PC at all - the NMEA data stream just has different level of accuracy in the data.

Unless CoPilot have a very weird way of checking the Fix type flag (which reflects if WAAS is used or not) there should be no relation to the lockups you experience. This is easiest to confirm by running another GPS program with WAAS enabled (for example Mapopolis).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 4705 Seize-up Problem (possibly) Resolved Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thank you for your quick response. During the same afternoon I wrote you about the "seize-up" problem with my Ipaq 4705, I was at my desk updating a spreadsheet and out of the corner of my eye I noticed something change on my PDA. What caused me to look over was an application that came with the dang thing called "Dockware".

Now this program comes configured to automatically come on after a brief period of lapsed time - like a screen saver. The thought crossed my mind that maybe while I was testing CoPilot in my car, this screensaver would start in the background and cause CoPilot to freeze. I unchecked the default mode of Dockware from "Start Automatically" to "start when I want it to" and proceeded to test drive the system last night on the open road. Guess what - no lockups.

I felt that I should share my discovery with you and all the other GPS "students" out there so no one else wastes their time like I wasted my time and yours. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

Best regards,

Gary
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned Dockware before on the hx4700/4705 - as you say, tap and hold, unselect "Start Automatically", and the problem is over.

Personally I think Dockware is a huge waste of memory...

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: