Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Broken Shortcuts" - SD card, today plug-in, or th
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Broken Shortcuts" - SD card, today plug-in, or th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boldzak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: "Broken Shortcuts" - SD card, today plug-in, or th Reply with quote

Hi All

Firstly, I hope this is the correct forum as this post could either be classed as either hardware or software.

I have a 1 month old Mio 168 (which I love!), and am using a new Kingston 512MB SD card with the marking "SDM512, 0448SG6126L MADE IN TAIWAN" on the back. In addition, I am using Spb Pocket Plus 2.2, build 1650 as my today plug-in.

I have noticed that every so often (perhaps once a day) some of the Spb shortcuts to programs, etc., appear to break - tapping on the icon results in a "****.exe could not be found" type message. The 2 solutions are to do a soft reset, or to remove the shortcut from the today screen and add it again using Pocket Plus.

Although this is hardly a major issue, it is an annoyance I could do without - I wouldn't have thought it too much to ask for a shortcut to remain stable.

Does anyone have any opinion as to what may be causing this problem? Could it be the SD card (hope not as it's only a couple of weeks old, and it would be pretty hard proving such an issue to the vendor), the OS (WM2003) or perhaps Pocket Plus itself? Alternatively, might it be some other software causing a conflict of some sort?

In case it's the latter, the software I have installed is as follows:

Spb Pocket Plus 2..
Pocket Informant 5.6
TomTom 3
Checkpoint 2
(the excellent) ukpostcode
eWallet 4
Closeall
SK Tools
Storage Tools 2
XP Shutdown

Thanks for any insight you may have.

On another note, I have tried to defrag the SD card using Storage Tools and also a trial of Pocket Mechanic. Both of these programs seem to be doing a good job (even thought they take ages to defrag the SD card with only about 150MB on it), but after a defrag, again, a number of shortcuts fail. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the shortcuts pointing to that fail? If it's to the SD card, be aware that SD cards take a finite amount of time to power up once a Pocket PC is resumed from standby. For that reason, certain software has to be kept in main memory to prevent problems.

David
Boldzak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response David

Those which fail are on the SD card:

TomTom 3 Maps, Checkpoint, and a couple of games on the SD.

The PPC is often fully powered up when the failures occur - do you think I've got a card that's slow to "boot up" perhaps? However, other prgrams on the card start up no problem, and it's not always the same ones which fail....
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a card that is particularly slow to start up. Are things any better if you consciously wait five seconds after switching on the Pocket PC?

I don't use my SD card for programs; my iPAQ hx4700 has a built in 'non volatile' store of 80MBytes, and all programs that don't have to go in main memory go there.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: