Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Query re HP TomTom Navigation Pack
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Query re HP TomTom Navigation Pack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordberg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Query re HP TomTom Navigation Pack Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought a HP iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC plus TomTom wired GPS bundled pack like this:

http://www.hpstore.hp.co.uk/item?p=1222&sku=TTFA289A

Now, I understand that it's not using the full blown TT Navigator program, rather a cut down "engine" of it. Basically I want to know what the downside of this software is. It seems I'm unable to add new POI like speed cameras etc as the SD card is completely full with TT software. Is there anything to stop me getting a bigger card and cloning the one supplied by HP making it possible to add POI database?

Is it worth me buying a full blown version of TTN 3 ?

Thanks in advance.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you bought is essentially TomTom Navigator 4. It's based on the same engine that is also used by the GO, the Palms, the Smartphones. Look at it like a consumer edition of TTN.

The downside is that a number of features are missing (like route calculation type, navigation to Lat/Lon etc) that are more targeted at the power users. If you need those features thaen you need to stay with/get TTN3.

Also worth mentioning - due to the new engine the sound files are now compacted OGG Vorbis files as opposed to separate WAV files for TTN3

On the other hand you can certainly exchange your existing memory card with a bigger one to make room for custom POIs.

As soon as I get my hands on the TTN2004 version (should be tomorrow) I'll craft a head-to-head comparison of TTN3 and TTN2004 so you can see what really is different.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nordberg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the info.

I've found some glaring omissions and errors with the maps already. I figured I should download the updates - but which ones are applicable for my software? Will the TTN3 updates work ?

Many Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid you're outta luck here. "updates" only apply to the program, and there is none available yet for the TTN2004.

Map updates are not free - you will have to pay for the next map version , probably somewhere in March.

If you find map errors please report them to TeleAtlas

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Last edited by lbendlin on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
nordberg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty appalling that a major road that opened over 12 months ago doesn't even appear on TT's maps and there is no update available! I'm afraid TT has gone down considerably in my estimation Crying or Very sad [/b]
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always return the goods and try a NAVTEQ based product instead.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always errors and omissions in digital maps - they are released at a point in time. If it's any consolation, the maps in TomTom Navigator 3 are, I believe, older - they lack M6 Toll, for example. As Lutz says, a product using recent Navteq geodata may be a better bet.

As a matter of interest, what missing road is bothering you?

Meanwhile, you need to be aware that few if any of these products include map updates in the price. Usually map updates are a chargeable upgrade. TomTom have historically updated TomTom Navigator once a year (and historic TomTom upgrade prices have been pretty reasonable), but there's been a plethora of new products in the last year and no indication yet what upgrades will be offered.

TomTom's mapping supplier, TeleAtlas, now releases updated data to its customers twice a year according to Dave (Navteq release quarterly).

I regard it as unavoidable that sometimes you have to work round a missing new road when using any navigation system.

David
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how much the map update will be?

JOHN
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can only guess at this point - should be around 80-100 Euros

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's historically been less than that, Lutz. TomTom Navigator 1 -> Navigator 2 was 39 Euros, TomTom Navigator 2 -> Navigator 3 was 49 Euros.

The TomTom Navigator 2 -> Navigator 3 upgrade included upgrades of all your Navigator 2 products for one fee, so long as there wasn't more than one of the same product. For example, Navigator 2 Great Britain and Navigator 2 Maps of Western Europe could both be upgraded for a single 49 Euro fee. However, you couldn't upgrade two copies of Navigator 2 Great Britain for 49 Euros.

In each case, a P&P charge of around 10 Euros had to be added. Those who'd bought in the few months before the upgrade just had to pay P&P.

However, we don't know what future upgrade schemes will look like. So far, TomTom have only offered upgrades for the TomTom Navigator software on the Pocket PC - nothing else in their range has been around for a year.

The upgrade from TomTom Navigator 2 USA (there never was a Navigator 3 USA) to TomTom Navigator 2004 is US$53 according to the TomTom US web site. The same site promises Navigator 2004 Maps of Western Europe within a few weeks; I suspect those European maps and the Navigator 2004 software will be pretty much what's released as the next European version of Navigator for the Pocket PC. Having said that, I hope for further software development before that release - in particular, for Navigator SDK support to be added.

David
cunning_runt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I recently purchased the hp ipaq rz1710 and tom tom navigator bundle (on offer on BT`s website - £230 delivered).
I have never owned a GPS system before (have seen tom tom3 before though).
Some thinks to share with you
App version 4.400 (2850)
great-britian-map v390
I HAVE installed checkPOInt 3.2.0.0
I have downloaded many overlays including traffic cameras (around 38 different types!),hotels and restaurants, leisure, services, shops (icluding supermarkets like tesco and asda etc) and transportation. This is very easy to do from the synchronize menu in checkPOInt (when attached to your PC). You have the ability to add audio warning to each POI too (a cow sound for mcdonalds is good!). I have used it for about a week now (travelling round carlisle,kendal,barrow-in-furness and the lakes) and its been 100% spot on. always have between 7 and 10 sats fixed on me.
IMHO this is a cracking little piece of kit and for the money I`m well chuffed. Don`t really know what more you get on tomtom 3 (apart from the preview route option) but I can get from a to b very, very easily with this set up.
I transferred all the info from the supllied 128mb tomtom navigator card to a 256mb one (an old one from my camera) and it works fine and gives me loads more space to add stuff (as well as leaving my original sd card safe just in case anything goes belly-up!).
Hope this info helps
:D

Embarassed
it also works in lanscape too !
(sorry forgot to say!)
runt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: