Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GR-231 power management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GR-231 power management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: GR-231 power management Reply with quote

After comments in these threads about the GR-231's ability to:

A. Run in low power mode according to what the Holux data sheet suggests is possible, despite it being an XT2 device and despite personal experiences here suggesting the GPSViewer software has no effect (but was the sequence below followed?).

B. Stay powered up when connected via a cable (without a Bluetooth connection), despite it's power down feature,

I directly mailed Holux UK tech support about this. Got no reply :-(. So I mailed Taiwan tech support, and DID get a response. Here it is:

===

Q. Does use of a serial cable stop the GR-231 from powering down
automatically after 10 mins when no Bluetooth connection is active?
HOLUX -- Yes, GR-231 have the function as you mentioned due to power saving.

Otherwise I will lose communication after 10mins if there is no Bluetooth
connection.
HOLUX -- This is our special function for power saving for bluetooth connection.

Q. The manual says this unit has a low power with > 16hr battery life. How
can I but the GR-231 in this mode?
HOLUX --
You can use GPSViewer to enable POWER SAVING function.
Step by step for POWER SAVING function being enable as follow.
1.Open Gpsviewer.
2.Scan com port of GR-231 and find correct com port.
3.Press "Open GPS" and you can see NEMA string outputing.
4.Press "Close GPS" and select item for POWER SAVING and mark it.
5.Press "Open GPS" and POWER SAVING function will be enabled.

===

So, maybe they didn't understand my question (I find it's often difficult to make tech questions completely clear to someone who doesn't have English as their first language), or maybe the person who answered is just pain wrong?!

Shame Holux UK didn't reply. Maybe they can here, to clarify?

J
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received this update from Taiwan, that reproduces what others have said. Time for firmware update, I'd suggest, 'Mr Holux'. In the UK I'd suspect you're in breach of 'fit for purpose' legislation?!?

Q. Does this mean that a serial cable cannot be be used for more than 10mins because the GR-231 will switch off. How is the serial cable connection useful, then?

A. Yes, as you said, GR-231 was major designed for bluetooth connection, we didn't consider very well for cable connection, if you insist to use GR-231 for cable connection, please return your GR-231 to our company for customized change.
OhBuggerit2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "power saving" feature is also detrimental even when using a bluetooth connection.

If you stop off at say a motorway services and don't move for the 10 mins or so and the GPS position remains static it too goes to sleep and will not wake up without re-setting.

I still cannot figure out why you would want a unit to go to sleep but not wake up?, why not just have it turn off?

Seems to me there is an opportunity for a manufacturer to develop a unit which is switched off, but has a "remote awake" sensor so that the unit switches on as soon as it gets a request signal from a paired device, and the the possibility of switching off again once the paired device drops the signal. Maybe that would be a reasonable way of prolonging battery life.

In the meantime my 231 unit will be going back if Holux UK cannot carry out the firmware upgrade or give a me replacement unit without this terrible design flaw BEFORE I send mine back. Evil or Very Mad

Each to their own though, as I know other users that are quite happy with the feature.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBuggerit2k2 wrote:
If you stop off at say a motorway services and don't move for the 10 mins or so and the GPS position remains static it too goes to sleep and will not wake up without re-setting.

Are you sure? I think mine stays alive so long as the Bluetooth connetion stays active...

J

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: