Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 3 Hangs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 3 Hangs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexnigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 3 Hangs Reply with quote

Hi,
Has anyone suffered with this problem. Ipaq 2210 running Tom Tom 3 with wired Gps receiver. The problem is that when I am planning a route either whilst connected or just sat in the house every few weeks the program just hangs. The gps sign comes up at the bottom of the screen Tom Tom tries to start, but fails to do so. I end up having to do a hard reset and re-installing. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Confused
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated TomTom to at least 3.03?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to go as far as a hard reset surprises me.

Lockups are not unheard of - especially when planning routes. Firstly, upgrade to the latest version of Navigator, which can be got from support.tomtom.com. At the time of writing 3.07 is the latest version.

If that doesn't make the problem go away, turn off the display of POIs and see if that helps.

If you're still having problems, post details of the memory card you're using for the maps - including details of any codes or markings.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are issues with TTN3 on a 2210 when you have a MicroDrive inserted and running TTN maps from an SD card. I'm not sure if this is also a problem running from regular CF card, but MicroDrives are certainly an issue so if you have a MicroDrive inserted, eject it.
alexnigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your ideas I will give them a try. I have always thought that POI's may be a problem. Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After installing 3.07T I have also recently started having lockups when in Map or Traffic Mode, but never in Navigate. TT took longer to start and it took longer to load the map screens. I think that it is showing more detail for the same area in 3.07 than 3.05. I reverted to 3.05T and have never had a lockup since and the load and map draw speeds are fast again.

I tried deleting and creating new configuration files after the upgrade to 3.07, as this has caused issues before on other upgrades, but this made no difference.

Using a Ipaq 5550 with 1GB Panasonic SD card.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happens, you can't stay with Navigator 3.05T - Traffic will stop working at the end of the month unless you have at least Navigator 3.06T installed (which I'm not sure was ever released publicly).

This information comes from an email I got from TomTom yesterday - which included link to answer a questionnaire about TomTom Traffic. I suspect everyone with a Traffic subscription will get this email sooner or later.

It's hard for me to comment on stability as I've just switched to a new iPAQ and new memory card. I haven't had anything other than 3.07T on my iPAQ hx4700, and I haven't made much use of the hx4700 yet.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same email and I wonder if that is a typo "3.06T". The reason I think this, is that 3.05T and later point to a different server (62.250.9.72) to the earlier versions (62.250.16.51) for downloading the data.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a typo - I haven't got round to checking firewall logs. I know that 3.04T and previous used the old Traffic server, and thought that 3.05T switched to the production server.

My iPAQ hx4700 setup appears stable with Navigator 3.07T and GPS 3.07 - so long as I use my Panasonic made 512MB SD card (actually Integral brand). If I use the Integral "High Speed" 1GB SD card, it hangs randomly - I'll have to break the bad news to Rob at ValueFlash later. It's only today that I've driven enough miles to be certain that the memory card is the problem.

Fortunately I copied my map folder and POIs to both cards before leaving home, so that when the machine crashed for the third time on the 1GB card, all I had to do was pull over, soft reset, change SD cards and continue my journey without a further crash.

The more I use the hx4700, the more impressed I get. There's no problem with speaker volume; it may be ever so slightly quieter than my old iPAQ h3970, but it's much clearer somehow. I can't get the hardware buttons to work in GPSAssist (I wonder if that's a WM2003SE bug), but that's the only problem I have remaining.

WM2003SE autodials my GPRS connection for TomTom Traffic, and closes it when I exit Navigator - I just have to have Bluetooth enabled on my phone and the hx4700.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if TomTom tweaked the graphics 3.07 for the W2003SE as it is slower with map drawing and it also appears (I may be imagining this) to show more road and places at the same level of zoom.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigator 3.07T doesn't offer VGA graphics (at least in conventional VGA mode - I don't use SE_VGA). GPS 3.07 is a VGA application, though!

If you switch to landscape mode, Navigator pops up a dialog box to complain, then shuts down.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just done a quick anlaysis and a few tests. There are only five files that differ between 3.05T and 3.07T

File001=TomTom Navigator.exe
File002=tt$lang$.dll
File003=poitypes.dll
File004=TTPANavTo.dll
File005=TTPAShow.dll

I have swapped files one by one and all together and they make no overall difference to the map loading speed this time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: