Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing countries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing countries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjl1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Changing countries Reply with quote

I have TT3 with German, Austrian and Swiss maps and it works brilliantly. I have now purchased a French map as I live about 30 miles from the French border. When I change from the German to the French map my PDA (Axim5) shows the French maps and cities etc., but when I try to set a destination (from Germany) it freezes (i.e. needs resetting).
I'm new to this and can't work out what's wrong. Do I have to cross the border before changing maps? If so, why the freeze?

Hope someone can help.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to route across the borders of your country maps is to use the "Major Roads of Europe" map. TomTom Navigator 1, 2 and 3 are not able to route from one map to another.

One way is to use Major Roads of Europe to work out which border crossing is best, then route to that point on one map, change map, and route to your destination. POIs can make this easier to achieve.

David
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible way, that I have used successfully on a trip from the UK to Brussels and Frankfurt, is to use the MRE to do the "major" navigation, but when I get "near" my destination to switch the PPC to Microsoft Pocket Streets. This came "free" with AutoRoute 2005, and allows you do download maps from either Autoroute or the MS web site.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Pocket Streets will happily use the TT GPS unit - I just had to remember to "exit" TT to allow PocketStreets to use the GPS connection.

This doesn't give you directions, but it got me so close to my destinations that I didn't need them. Worked well in the small streets of Brussels, and around the back roads of Frankurt HBF.

Using this technique I don't think I will need to buy the European maps from TT. I've also used it to "find" my location Stockholm using the address lookup when I only had the PPC and no GPS.

Peter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: