Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux, Which Pocket PC ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux, Which Pocket PC ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Holux, Which Pocket PC ? Reply with quote

I don't want to appear stupid so appogies if this is a stupid question.

I currently have a Compaq 3900 series PDA , would this work with the Holux unit ?

Also, how do I get the nav software required onto the PDA ? I use a mac, is it simply by USB ?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPAQ 3900 series can connect to serial, BlueTooth, or SD card GPS receivers natively, and to CF or Jacket receivers with the appropriate jacket.

Bluetooth works out of the box, for a serial receiver you need to make sure that the receiver has the appropriate 22 pin connector.

Some of the software can be copied directly to the Pocket PC , others requires the use of a PC with Active Sync.

If you have a SD card reader on your Mac, then you can copy the application installer (the .CAB file) as well as the maps onto that storage card, and then run the program install directly from the Pocket PC.

What navigation program are you thinking of using?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
markc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really after as much information here as possible.

I have the 3900 PDA and really would like to be using this unit for Sat Nav in the car. If this were your PDA, what set up would you recommend ? ie what software ? which GPS unit ? any additional stuff I need , ie holders etc?

I have access to a PC so I could sync software from the PC if its required
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just retired my iPAQ h3970 and handed it to another family member who is using it as pretty much a dedicated satellite navigation system. It's still a fine machine; I simply wanted something smaller, lighter and with a VGA screen (so I bought an iPAQ hx4700).

I used a Brodit active mount on the appropriate ProClip for my car. Software was TomTom Navigator 3. For a GPS, there's numerous options - it really depends what you want.

Maps went on an SD card - I recommend a 'high speed' card that isn't Sandisk brand. If you're in the UK, ValueFlash should have a good range to choose from - go for at least 256MB and consider 512MB these days as prices are so cheap.

If you're using the 1.11 ROM on a 395x, or the 2.10 ROM on a 397x, make sure you've applied the SD driver fix which is on the HP support site, otherwise your memory card performance will be poor.

David
markc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far. Could you explain the following ? Sorry but I really am new to all this

Software was TomTom Navigator 3. For a GPS, there's numerous options - it really depends what you want.

Numerous options ? I want a good sat nav package that would allow me to download camera sites as well. Where would I buy this software?

If you're using the 1.11 ROM on a 395x, or the 2.10 ROM on a 397x, make sure you've applied the SD driver fix which is on the HP support site, otherwise your memory card performance will be poor.

What does this mean ? Its a IPAQ 3950 ?

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's many sites that sell navigation software and hardware. If you check out the advertisers to the right, you'll get an idea of what is available. You'll really need software, a GPS, an in car mount for the Pocket PC with some kind of power solution, and a memory card with enough spare space to store the maps.

There's various ROM versions for the iPAQ 3950. If you have an iPAQ that hasn't been upgraded to Pocket PC 2003 (the kits to do that are still available from HP for a few more weeks - but they're expensive and it's probably not worth doing), the chances are that you're using ROM 1.11. Look at the bottom of the screen when you soft reset, or look in the Asset Viewer to see.

If you're still on ROM 1.00, upgrading to ROM 1.11 is recommended - but you must follow the instructions carefully. More details on that are available here.

ROM 1.11 contains drivers for the SD slot that don't work that well. HP released an update that fixes that - that's available here. Again, it's crucial to follow the instructions carefully.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: