Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion PPC250 upgrade to MN4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion PPC250 upgrade to MN4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Medion PPC250 upgrade to MN4 Reply with quote

(I'm sure I've seen this sort of covered before, but can't find it.)

I went to Navigon's site to order the upgrade, but am not EXACTLY sure what to order, as it's in German and Navigon don't answer.

I wish to have the non-BT GPS with TMC.
First it asks the software I am using. There are various 'NAvigator's listed, but I don't know if the Halford's one is one of them. Do I use 'software not listed'?
Then I THINK I need the "GPD-Empfanger inkl Kabelsatz + TMC (+Eur 228)". Is that right?

Then it asks for PDA: is Medion MD PPC 200 near enough to the 250 I have?

I am reluctant to send of the old stuff and pay up in case I've got it wrong!

Many thanks
big_ipaq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon's website is in English and Navigon's Online shop too.

Just goto:
http://www.navigon.com/

And pick your language...
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you need to order the €99 upgrade, and whatever addon parts you want via the Navigon shop, and you need to fill in this form and mail it to Navigon together with the original software CD (and they say all copies) and all of it's associated literature (including serial numbers etc) to the address on the form (they will mail you a copy of the form when they process the initial part of the order).

Sadly the for is all in German, but reference to www.abkuerzungen.de for the abbreviations, and Google translator or Babelfish ought to allow you to fill in the relevant details with no issues.

It's my understanding (from that form) that there is no need to return your existing hardware to qualify for the lower price of the modular GPS unit.... so you might be able to make some more £/$/€ by selling that on...
moatz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Medion PPC250 upgrade to MN4 Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
(I'm sure I've seen this sort of covered before, but can't find it.)

I went to Navigon's site to order the upgrade, but am not EXACTLY sure what to order, as it's in German and Navigon don't answer.

I wish to have the non-BT GPS with TMC.
First it asks the software I am using. There are various 'NAvigator's listed, but I don't know if the Halford's one is one of them. Do I use 'software not listed'?
Then I THINK I need the "GPD-Empfanger inkl Kabelsatz + TMC (+Eur 228)". Is that right?

Then it asks for PDA: is Medion MD PPC 200 near enough to the 250 I have?

I am reluctant to send of the old stuff and pay up in case I've got it wrong!

Many thanks

David, I have gone through this and you need to order the following:

1) Order the Cross-Upgrade from MobileNavigator D/A/CH for EUR 99.
2) Order the "GPS-Empfänger & TMC-Modul">GPS-Empfänger inkl. Kabelsatz + TMC" for EUR 228.00, (Choose PDA as Medion PPC200).
3) Order the "TMC-Y adapter", to help boost the TMC signal in the UK, for EUR 39.95. This connects into your aerial.

Then once you have placed the order. You have to send the CD-ROM with the Medion software on to Navigon with a copy of the order, from the internet. NOTE: You do not have to send the RoyalTek GPS Reciever that came with the Medion Unit.

Once they have received the CD-Rom, then they will send the Upgrade and the TMC unit, if it is in stock.

The only problem I had was I didn't have a cable to connect the PDA to the new GNS (company who make the TMC unit) T-box. So i ordered this cable:

from http://www.dantotec.de/product_info.php/products_id/6058 and everything now works.

I have still to pull my dash apart, to connect the TMC Y-adapter to the car's antenna. I plan on doing later today. Everything else works, though.

Best of Luck.
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the help (and apologies that you'd be over it before - I couldn't find where).
I wasn't sure if Halford's Madion software was the same as
'Mobile Navigator D/A/Ch' as I didn't know what D/A/CH was!
I also didn't realise I needed the cross-upgrade as well; I sort of assumed that the hardware would include that. Just as weel I asked!

I'll order it all and cross my fingers.

David
yee_har
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks from me also to Moatz for the "plain English".

I'd been struggling to find a "Janet and John" explanation and shied away from asking as I felt sure there was one somewhere if I looked hard enough!

This gives me the impetus to order.....
moatz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you guys an update.

I installed the TMC Y-adapter cable that afternoon, into my car and I have had no problems recieving TMC signals from Newcastle to London.

You really must install this cable, as the little window sucker aerial is garbage and picks up nothing on the open road.
GIV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Although I`ve been using my Medion MD250 with whatever version of Navigon its got (Aldi special in May this year) I am still a bit of noobie to all this...

However I want Euro maps, and I understand that Version 4 has them?

So, am I right in understanding that I can upgrade what I`ve got for Euro 99.00?

I have had a look at the German website, but it seems I need to register to be able to use it and it wants codes from when I first used my Navigon... which I dont have - how do I get round this?

Also I am right in thinking that this TMC thing is just something which changes the route being suggested based on traffic and accidents ect??

Ie... is it possible, if I dont want that, to just get the software upgrade for Euro 99 (supposing I can ever log into their website!)

Cheers
Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: