Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Palm TX + TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm TX + TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Palm TX + TomTom Reply with quote

I have a very, very old Palm 500, as it’s now 2006 I’m thinking of buying the Palm Tx with TomTom from Amazon (see link) Does anyone have this product? And if so how has TomTom worked, I ask as I read some posts (other Forums) saying they were incompatible. Also can someone confirm the “Safety Camera” POI can be added to this config.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BU2FKM/qid=1136035953/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-7152242-3010840

:D
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Tomtom, the TX is officially supported - see here:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=99

POIs are added to the map folder so there is no reason why this should not work on any device.

Personally I run Tomtom on a Tungsten T3 and love it - I know TX has a significantly smaller Dynamic Heap than the old T3, but I don't know if it is small enough to cause problems with Tomtom...the T5 does appear to have some issues in this area with a Dynamic Heap of only 4MB or so (compared with the T3 of 12MB).

A TX Tomtom user may be able to give you real feedback rather than just theory...
JohnnySW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Ta Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, sounds like it works.
andyv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I got this from amazon i few weeks ago - I wanted a TX and seemed like a good deal bundled with the GPS. The GPS is in a box saying its for a treo650, but works fine with the TX. I was expecting the tomtom sqaure GPS unit, but its actually a palmone branded one - i'm not sure if there's any difference between these, but the palmone one works fine.

This is the only sat. nav. i've ever used or seen, but i'm pretty impressed with the software and hardware. It worked fine straight out of the box, and i had it up and running quickly. I think the software is on a 128 or 256MB SD card, but it copied over onto my 1GB card easily.

Since i got the TX, i've installed some extra software, and the navigator software will sometimes refuse to start - saying there's not enough memory i think. This is probably caused by some other software i'm using (maybe the internet browser, since that seems a bit flakey) and can be fixed with a soft reset - a bit of a hassle, but i dont think its the tomtom navigator software that's the problem.

I've not got around to installing the speed camera POI database yet, so dont know about that. If you really want to know before buying, let me know and i'll try it out, or any other specific questions let me know.

Andy
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyv wrote:
Hello,

the navigator software will sometimes refuse to start - saying there's not enough memory i think.

Andy

This sounds suspiciously like the dynamic heap problem I mentioned - can you confirm how much 'free ram' tomtom is giving you once you have loaded it on the TX (go to 'change preferences' and choose 'show version' on the 4th screen I think)?

If it is a low number then you're basically running short of the part of the system memory used for running applications (the dynamic heap or 'free ram') which will cause freezes/crashes.

Soft resets will clean out the heap and make it a little easier to work with for a while, but as it continues to be used it starts fragmenting and Tomtom will find it more difficult to find chunks big enough to use - so it crashes.

Well I think that's how it all works anyway...
andyv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it now - it refused to start with the error:
"Not enough free DB cache memory to run this application."

Works after a soft reset.

The 'Show Version' screen says there is 1.8 mb free RAM.

Sounds like its what you said, with the fragmenting of memory until there's not enough in one chunk, and soft reset sorts it out. Not sure if this is a 'feature' or a 'bug', but it could get irratating...

Andy
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could trying using the DB Cache Tool and see if that helps Smile

Here's a link to the translated webpage :-

Link
andyv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I installed it, but not really sure how it works 'cos the instructions are in forin. I'll play with it and see if it works...

I also just installed the speed camera POI database - looks like it works fine, but not driven with it yet... they're marked up on the route planner playback though.

Andy
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of advice, in case you haven't picked it up from other posts:

Don't set Tomtom to 'show POI', choose 'hide POI' instead. Provided you have set up your safety camera warnings and distances, they will appear as you approach the camera sites - but they don't show on the map/screen the rest of the time.

Tomtom 5 seems to struggle with visible POIs and the screen refresh gets really slow and jerky - presumably it is intensively recalculating which POIs should be visible at any given time, which may exacerbate your already delicate dynamic heap situation...I don't know.
andyv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint... I'll see how it works on the way to work tomorrow.

Andy
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyv wrote:
I just tried it now - it refused to start with the error:
"Not enough free DB cache memory to run this application."

Works after a soft reset.

The 'Show Version' screen says there is 1.8 mb free RAM.

Andy

The Treo 650 also suffers from this problem, and it only has 32MB, with ttn reporting typically 1.9mb or so free RAM.

A soft reset always sorts it out.

My Treo 650 is much more stable than my T3 running ttn5.201 - the T3 will frequently, whilst ttn is running cause a fatal crash, which is not easy to rectify whilst driving. My Treo 650 has never done this, only refuse to start as it doesn't have enough free DBCache, which a reset solves. There is talk that the latest unofficial firmware for the treo sorts this out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: