Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I navigate to coordinates?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I navigate to coordinates?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mustafacatflap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Can I navigate to coordinates? Reply with quote

And if so, how?

(When my Mrs gets completely lost and she's in the middle of nowhere, can I ask her to tell me her coordinates and then go off to find her?)

IPAQ 1940 BT TTN3

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Map view

Tools > Goto coordinates

If you have a valid GPS signal the coordinates will be where you are. Have your wife tell you those, and then enter them in the same screen and hit "go"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Map view, select Tools > Go to coordinates then enter the position you want. This shows it centered on the map. Tap and hold on the map for a menu with options including Navigate to....

If you want to use TomTom with Ordnance Survey British / Irish grid references instead of WGS84 coordinates (for when your "Mrs" gets lost with an OS map rather than a GPS receiver Smile ), try out my OS GPS Convertor tool. Info and download at:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/barrydavies/osgps.htm
mustafacatflap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more or less what we've been doing but it doesn't seem quite that simple.

What we did was: Navigator, tap screen, tap GPS status and this gave us a position of 53.36.021N and 1.48.652E

But you can't enter a coordinate with either a three digit length or a first figure number greater than '5' of course. Consequently we can't enter the last three digits of the GPS position and only get approximate (within a hundred yards) locations.

When you're on a country road with high hedges etc etc. that's not really good enough. Where I live, you'd need a step ladder to see into the next field!

As for going: map: go to co-ordinates. The co-ordinates listed there are the last ones you entered, they don't seem to be the current ones.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>When my Mrs gets completely lost <

I must be missing something...wouldn't it be simpler for 'her outdoors' to have your home as the 1st Favourite and then she does 'Find'->'Home'->'Navigate to...' Question
mustafacatflap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are missing something but don't let it concern you.

This is rather hypothetical, but only to a degree. What happens frinstance if Mrs has a flat tyre and can't drive. Doesn't want to navigate to home because we're on holiday and two hundred miles from the front door etc etc

And perhaps of more importance. My postcode doesn't bring you with two hundred yards of my house and my address can't be divined from TT3.

The object of the exercise is to find a precise way of navigating to somewhere.

Trying to deliver a parcel sir? Here's my co-ordinates, see you soon...

See what I mean? NO? Oh well...
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in map veiw tap tools then go to co-ordinats then type in the co-ordinatesgo to them on the map then hold the stylus and select navigate to

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What we did was: Navigator, tap screen, tap GPS status and this gave us a position of 53.36.021N and 1.48.652E

The Go to coordinates screen wants positions in degrees minutes seconds format, the position you're quoting looks like degrees minutes. To fix this, on the GPS status screen select the GPS tab and change the format to d m s. Then go back to the Status tab and you'll see the position in the correct format.
The position you quote is in the North Sea. Change the longitude to W and you'll be somewhere south of Huddersfield.
Quote:
But you can't enter a coordinate with either a three digit length or a first figure number greater than '5' of course. Consequently we can't enter the last three digits of the GPS position and only get approximate (within a hundred yards) locations.

You can enter three digits in the longitude degrees, but not the latitude degrees, which makes sense. I assume you've noticed, but will point out just in case, that the GPS status screen shows latitude then longitude, the Go to co-ordinates screen shows longitude then latitude.
Yes, you're right that you can only enter a position to the nearest second, which isn't totally accurate but should be within about 20m E/W and 30m N/S.
Quote:
As for going: map: go to co-ordinates. The co-ordinates listed there are the last ones you entered, they don't seem to be the current ones.

After displaying the map, tap the GPS satellite fix symbol (the number and bars above right of the map) to scroll the map to this position. When you then select Go to coordinates it will show this position.
Quote:
Yes, you are missing something but don't let it concern you.

Hope one of these ideas fixes it for you. And more to the point, I'm sure that the whole forum is really far more interested in finding out what you and the "Mrs" are actually doing. Can you share any more details with us? :D
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> what you and the "Mrs" are actually doing. Can you share any more details with us<

Laughing Out Loud. It's obvious now...a private plane, with no lights showing, flys in from the Continent and drops a package. There's a GPS inside which uses SMS to send it's co-ordinates. The ground team has to 'Navigate to...' and pick up the goods for 'Mrs Big'.
mustafacatflap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amcluesent wrote:
> what you and the "Mrs" are actually doing. Can you share any more details with us<

Laughing Out Loud. It's obvious now...a private plane, with no lights showing, flys in from the Continent and drops a package. There's a GPS inside which uses SMS to send it's co-ordinates. The ground team has to 'Navigate to...' and pick up the goods for 'Mrs Big'.

Sorry, I really would like to share the adventure with you but then I'd have to find your coordinates and come and kill you. Naturally I wouldn't be using Tom Tom 3 to find them though!

Seriously: As TT3 can't find addresses, postcodes leave you with rather large areas to search (especially in rural places), whole towns are missing, it takes you to Birmingham down the M1 and brings you back up the M6, it doesn't have a clue what's happening when it eventually does get you off the M6, it gets you arrested in Leeds for driving up Bus Lanes and is generally (IMHO) a load of crap, I thought I'd see if it can do anything with anything remotely approaching precision.

No such luck of course. I've just tried the suggestions in the earlier excellent post and it put me slap bang in the middle of the river which runs one hundred yards past my front door Sad

Even in rural areas where the roads haven't changed for donkey's years it still (yesterday) tried to send me up a cart track which which was so old it was signposted in Latin.

If I'd have known what a complete bunch of sh**e I was about to purchase, I'd have cancelled my subscription to ebay and bought another blow up doll instead.

What's with you guys on this forum. You seem to accept this bunch of crap with equanimity. You should be off to Cloggie Land and be jumping up and down on Tom Tom's windpipe (if you could find it of course).

The only thing this garbage is useful for is as a talking point at the traffic lights (which it very often misses by fifty yards anyway)!

Remember the days when the phrase "www.etcetcetc.com was a curiosity on people's/businesses letterheads. Today, everyone has a web address. As GPS becomes more prevalent, I could see a time when people had their co-ordinates on their letter heads too. Fat lot of use that'd do you with good ole Tom Tom though Rolling Eyes

Ah well, rant over. Anyone wanna buy a piece of electronic junk that isn't fit for the purposes it was sold??

PS I'm not a troll

Mustafa
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustafacatflap wrote:
Anyone wanna buy a piece of electronic junk that isn't fit for the purposes it was sold??

Suggest you keep it and fit it to the blow up doll that's next on your shopping list. At least that way you'll always be able to locate "her" when you need to. Or then again, maybe not... :D
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to ged rid of that piece of sh**e I don't mind paying the postage Laughing
dave
mustafacatflap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
mustafacatflap wrote:
Anyone wanna buy a piece of electronic junk that isn't fit for the purposes it was sold??

Suggest you keep it and fit it to the blow up doll that's next on your shopping list. At least that way you'll always be able to locate "her" when you need to. Or then again, maybe not... :D

You miss the point. Firstly, I wouldn't be able to locate her would I? Because despite having a piece of equipment that - theoretically - could place me with seeing distance of her, it can't do it because someone at Tom Tom failed to see the potential for coordinate navigation. It wouldn't matter so much if the address system worked, or they'd bothered to put a Post Code facility in (notwithstanding Neil's excellent contribution) but they didn't.

If you bought a television that couldn't get Beeb 1 or 2 (For Beebs 1 & 2 read Scarborough or Wales) what would you do? Perhaps you'd discuss the finer points of the walnut cabinet with equally minded colleagues on a newsgroup. More likely though that you'd take it straight back to Comet and tell them where to poke it.

I find it incredible that this forum doesn't seem to be up in arms about TT's shortcomings. Full marks to everyone who helps everyone else with problems but, at the end of the day, this thing costs the best part of £400 (BT) at PC World or £320 on ebay.

Let's hear it for Tom Tom - suck suck suck............... Laughing

p.s. Please don't tell me where to stick my conclusions. This is a forum after all!
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> "You miss the point."
Did I?:
>> "... be able to locate "her" when you need to. Or then again, maybe not..."
You obviously feel strongly about this, and I agree with most of your criticisms of TomTom. My own experience, for what it's worth, has simply been that it has always got me where I wanted to go - and with a lot less fuss/error/danger than trying to use paper maps while driving. For me, that's reason enough to use it.
The things that make it unusable for you, have only ever been minor niggles so far to me. Maybe I've just been lucky - I tend to be heading for town centre locations rather than new estates - but I have never yet failed to find an address I was looking for (please don't bombard me with addresses that don't work, there are other posts where you can add them to a long list), and while some of the routes chosen have puzzled me a bit, the fact is that they've always worked.
In my opinion the issues of map accuracy and address data will become the key product differentiators once all the products have a pretty interface, so I'm optimistic that what you want will be available in the future.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put everything into perspective - most of the other leading pocket navigation products on the market don't even expose that feature (navigation to coordinates). With Navigon/Medion for example you need external tools like Glopus to achieve that.

And yes, TomTom should indeed fix the field lengths of that form.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: