Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Firmware for BT338?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Firmware for BT338?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigswede
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: New Firmware for BT338? Reply with quote

Hi guys !

Any news about firmware update for BT338?
How serious is the "Jet Lag" bug in the current SirfIII firmware...any user experience ?

Regards
BigSwede
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the jet lag bug only leads to a wrong date. Not important for navigation, and can be fixed with a factory reset (plus Static Nav switch-off)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
JST
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

what does "plus Static Nav switch-off" mean and how do you achieve it?

Thanks, Jim
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

static navigation is the filtering of all movements below 4 km/h. you use SirfDemo to switch it off.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
JST
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz.

Looks a scary program Exclamation

In your opinion (and obviosuly not holding you to anything you might comment on) is it worth braving it out and giving it a go to enable Static Navigation? Will it make that much difference?

I have a BT-338 and use it for TomTom5 and Memory-Map.

I understand if you decline to comment!

Thanks, Jim
JST
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit further investigation has come up with this view from the GPSPassion website (apologies if using quotes from another website is a not appropriate!):

Quote:
While most settings are best left untouched unless you want to experiment (always risky !), "Static Navigation" is one that should be looked at closely especially with the arrival of the new SiRFstarIII based receivers, as these ultra-powerful receivers take GPS reception to a new level and can work with very weak signals but when that happens, accuracy can be impacted. Observations over a 24 hour period show that with good signals, 95% of the positions reported by the GPS will be within a 15 meter radius, while with weak signals, 95% of the positions will be within a radius of 50 meters.

Current road navigation software is designed for GPS receivers that only operate with good signals so accuracy will be in the 15 meter area. Such software will "snap" the position to the closest road so in a dense urban area, with degraded accuracy it's going to be easy to make the wrong decision and produce "uncosmetic" results and possibly force a trip recalculation.

Instead of redesigning navigation software to take this account (one could imagine some type of dynamic filtering based on DOP) and risk increasing the processing load on the PDA and hurt user experience, the easy fix is to implement this fix directly by having GPS manufacturers activate "Static Navigation" by default and therefore freeze the position using some complex algorithms mainly speed dependent. The problem with this is that this will considerably hurt low speed pedestrian use, with the speed staying on "0" and 50 meter jumps (update threshhold). If you want to use your GPS receiver outside your car, you'll need to disable SN.

Since I want to use my setup for walking, then I guess this answers the question - make sure its disabled.

Will SirfDEMO show me what default setting on a BT-338 is?

Thanks, Jim
JST
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 posts in a row - sorry!

I've answered my own question - yes it does. You have to switch into Sirf Protocol and then select Nav Parameters option.

Lutz, I (belatedly) found your BT-388 review - which I have now read. Great review - thanks (I'm learning all the time!). You ask if anyone has managed to switch the GPS into SBAS mode. All the DGPS and SBAS commands I tried came up with various "Rejected" responses (as shown in the Response View window)

Cheers, Jim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: