Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom stops working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom stops working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom stops working Reply with quote

Hope someone can help, when running TomTom 3 in the car after 5 mins it stops working. I have the compass on the screen and I've noticed when it stops, the compass drops to where the next instruction is and the arrow stops moving.

Thanks again.

Julie.
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julie

I notice this is your first post - welcome to the forums, lets hope we can collectively help you with your challenge.

You wouldn't by any chance be using a HP Ipaq 2210 PDA would you?

If so, then this is a well documented problem that can be fixed by updating your ROM and TomTom software - see other discussions in these forums

IF not then can you supply some details of the equipment you are using and how and when the problem occurs

Good Luck

Steve
juliem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I do use a H2210 and the ROM has been updated to 1.10. I have Fortuna Bluetooth GPS reciever and TomTom 3.01. The problem occurs all the time, it works fine for a few minutes then TomTom just freezes.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update TomTom Navigator to version 3.03 and downgrade the TomTom GPS driver to 2.07 (from our downloads page) . That should help.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
juliem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks I'll give that a try and let you know.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi julie also if you go the poi tab in properties right at the top theres a check box for show poi uncheck this box all it does is turn off the pois in your maps there still there they just wont be shown on your map also make sure the infrared port is turned off you can find this by tapping start>setting>connections>IR then uncheck the box

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
moggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when tomtom freezes, touch the screen and call up the GPS icon.

do you still get the little dots going across?

if you don't, then you have an iffy connection and that'll be why
juliem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi moggy, I checked the GPS status and the dots were still moving. Having read a few posts there are several mentions about the memory card. I think I may have a bad memory card, what is a good brand SD card to get? Someone said Kingston are good but I've no idea what I should get if the card is bad.
mad4it
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: TT3 Freezing Reply with quote

This is my 1st posting.... I've had same probs with TT3 on H2210(ROMv1.0) with Fortuna clip. I also have KINGSTON 256Mb SD card. I up graded to TT3.03 with DISASTROUS results. TomTom have tried to help, but through experimentation I have discovered the following.
With a hard reset and FULL Formatting of the sd card and fresh install, my TT3 (v3) works without fail. (I have HP bluetooth driver update V1.4.1.58 and h1940-2200 btfix). HOWEVER, with pocketGPS (speed cameras and gatsos poi's) installed in GB map folder, IF I CLICK ON SHOW POI IN NAVIGATOR, the navigator locks up at just about any road junction/intersection.
It's as if the cpu can't keep up with everything. haven't got round to reinstalling checkpoint yet as the web site was down on Saturday morning (16-10-04). I just tried to have navigator show the sped camera on the navigator screen, but had to turn off ALL poi's to stop navigator freezing
juliem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 2 people who have mentioned turnign POI's off, surely not everyone has to do that get their TT working. Anyway thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go. What happens when TT3 freezes? Hoep that doesn't sound like a daft question.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julie try formatting your sd card theres a demo in the downloads section i think its a bug just with the 2210 as tt runs flawlessly on my xda and on my jornada

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mad4it
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: when TomTom freezes over Reply with quote

My TT3.01 seems to freeze mostly at a junction/intersection when about to give verbal instructions. Deviating from the planned route locked it up almost instantly, but I have put this down to lack of memory on the H2210. This is not an issue since performing a hard reset.
I MUST SAY, THAT I PURCHASED MY H2210 AS A PACKAGE AND WHEN USING TT2 IT VERY RARELY LOCKED UP ON ME , EVEN WITH CHECKPOINT RUNNING.
The things that have changed....TT3.01 upgrade (& TT3.03). New SD card (From PRETEC 128Mb to KINGSTON 256Mb) Checkpoint 3.2 (From Checkpoint 2.0) (I 1st suspected V3.whatever to be a problem as the only times i can remember TT2 giving me problems was when I installed the latest checkpoint version. I soon reverted back to V2.0. & most recently HP bluetooth fix and bluetooth security update (to cure NOKIA 6230 pairing problems).

As to "what does TT do WHEN it freezes". It's as Juliem tells it. Directions and info disappear, the navigator screen stops updating and the compass is shown in the bottom left hand corner. I can't remember if the gps dotted line is animated or not at this point, i never thought to check. Exiting navigator and relaunching starts it up again from where it left off, and quickly catches up with its self if you are moving.

I AM STILL ON ROM1.0
mad4it
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: SORTED! Reply with quote

I've had my system working WITHOUT any lockups for 2 whole days now.
Where I think I was going wrong, was having the POCKET gps poi's ticked, so they would show on the Navigator window as you approached them.
Since getting Checkpoint configured corectly, this obviously isn't neccessary.

When would one actually USE the "show poi's" feature, if a 400MHz Arm CPU can't cope with Navigator running??

Yours VERY HAPPY

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: