Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTFF Very High, Yakumo PDA and RoyalTek GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTFF Very High, Yakumo PDA and RoyalTek GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: TTFF Very High, Yakumo PDA and RoyalTek GPS Reply with quote

Wow, just bought this great system, loaded TomTom on top of it, added the speed-cameras and the Mc-Donalds locations, works fine, but...

The TTFF (Time To First Fix) tends to get as long as 2 minutes!! I'm half way home when my PDA finally figures out where the hell we are! Could this be because of my RoyalTek GRF-1000, wich operates at a baudrate of only 4800?? My search for a fast, reliable GPS mouse was completed when I found the Rikaline GPS 6010 X-5. TTFF avarage of 39.5 secs. Does it get any faster then this?? Can the Yakumo PDA work together with this Rikaline GPS mouse? Is there any other way to speed up the TTFF of my current GPS mouse/PDA combination?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Loving it, Muizz.nl
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTFF has nothing to do with the baud rate. It is much more depending on the CURRENT satellite constellation. and on the receiving conditions for the Almanac and Ephemeris data. If you are moving around during that time and are interrupting the ycle then the receiver has to start over again .

Maybe you don't mean TTFF but warm restart? This one depends more on how long the receiver was sleeping, and if it has been moved since it was switched off.

Your problem may just be a dead backup battery in the receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
muizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your problem may just be a dead backup battery in the receiver.

Didn't know this receiver (RoyalTek RFG-1000) had a backup battery? I'll look in to that.

I keep the GPS Mouse on current at all times, even when I leave my vehicle (it is plugged into the lighter, wich always is turned on). The trouble starts when I plug in the PDA and need a fix. It usually takes up to 2 minutes for my PDA to find the current GPS position. I placed my GPS mouse just under my windshield, in the left-front corner of the car.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they all come with a very little battery that's supposed to keep the almanac/ephemeris data for a while when the receiver is switched off.

But since you have the mouse on power all the time there must be a different reason for that. Probably TomTOm feels obliged to re-initialize the mouse each time TomTOm is started. Try one of the two things

- in TomTom GPS, set the receiver to standard COM port 1 at 4800 baud (not to "TomTom GPS")
- test if you see the same symptoms when you don't exit TomTom, but simply switch the Pocket PC off when TomTom is still running. When you switch the Pocket PC back on in the morning it should continue from that same point.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
muizz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx! For now, your second tip seems to do the trick! Strange thing, that TomTom would reinitialize the Mouse every time.. As far as the BaudRate, I already was on 4800, as the manual suggested.

Ehm, nevertheless, would a different GPS Mouse with 12 instead of 8 channels and some added technology (like the Rikaline 6010 or the LeadTek 9532) speed things up even more ??

Thank you for your tips!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: