Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 or CP5 on iPAQ4700 confused
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 or CP5 on iPAQ4700 confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: TT3 or CP5 on iPAQ4700 confused Reply with quote

Hi, newbie and slighly confused, can any one help with the the above choice.
I've read quite a few of the posts on the subject of TT3 versus CP5 and found that each would apear to have both good and bad points.
The problem I have, is that both product manufactures would appear not to support (officially) the 4700. Can any one advise on a suitable car kit/combination (holder, power adapter etc) and GPS receiver that can be used with the iPAQ.

on the subject of software, TT3 seems to give more options regarding the routing of your trip and avoidence of areas that you know to be trouble spots, but has less accurate maps, no M6 toll road and problems with the post code/address look up.
However CP 5 would appear have more up todate maps, better at finding addresses etc, but possibly less user friendly at planning routes.

If the TT3 downloads are installed for post code look up etc, does this solve the address location problem that has been detailed under a number of posts, or is it a case of the maps in TT not being correct?

secondly, on TT3 your location arrow would appear to be stationary whilst the map works around you, is this the same for CP5?

On CP 5, can the safety screen be disabled, so your only left with the map view?

The POIs in TT3 seem easier to update, by downloading from this site, is this the same also for CP5

Finally, any chance of a simple comparison chart showing the features of TT3 and CP5 side by side at a glance.

I intend buy one of the above and would appreciate any advice on the above
Cheers

Steve
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TT3 or CP5 on iPAQ4700 confused Reply with quote

steveBob wrote:
The problem I have, is that both product manufactures would appear not to support (officially) the 4700. Can any one advise on a suitable car kit/combination (holder, power adapter etc) and GPS receiver that can be used with the iPAQ.

Pass, I'm not sure.

steveBob wrote:
on the subject of software, TT3 seems to give more options regarding the routing of your trip and avoidence of areas that you know to be trouble spots, but has less accurate maps, no M6 toll road and problems with the post code/address look up.
However CP 5 would appear have more up todate maps, better at finding addresses etc, but possibly less user friendly at planning routes.

Correct.

steveBob wrote:
If the TT3 downloads are installed for post code look up etc, does this solve the address location problem that has been detailed under a number of posts, or is it a case of the maps in TT not being correct?

No, because it means that you then need to have the postcode for every location you are going to visit which isn't ideal. Also digitools doesn't cover a complete 100% coverage of the 7 digit UK postcode so although it works well it can't be said it's 100% accurate.

steveBob wrote:
secondly, on TT3 your location arrow would appear to be stationary whilst the map works around you, is this the same for CP5?

Virtually. CoPilot, the arrow will travel up the screen whilst the map stays still. Once the pointer gets half way up the screen the map then moves and the pointer drops to the bottom, so it actually gives you the feeling that you are moving along the road.

steveBob wrote:
On CP 5, can the safety screen be disabled, so your only left with the map view?

Yes, by selecting the 2D (Where am I) view or 3D view.

steveBob wrote:
The POIs in TT3 seem easier to update, by downloading from this site, is this the same also for CP5

CoPilot still is a little long winded but it depends on how many times you are going to be updating POI's. Once you get into the swing of it, it's all of a 3-5 min job if you have a card reader.

steveBob wrote:
Finally, any chance of a simple comparison chart showing the features of TT3 and CP5 side by side at a glance.

Afraid not. I'd suggest reading both reviews though.
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: CoPilot5 Reply with quote

I recently agonised between TT3 & CPL5 and decided on CoPilot because of the glowing review it received on here.
One of the things that influenced my decision to get CPL5 was that you can load the complete map database (UK &EU) onto the PC and use it like MS AutoRoute. This alone is a very useful feature and one which I believe TT3 does not offer.
By being able to do everything on the PC first, updating POI's is easy and allows you to see exactly where they are on the screen. However, I would strongly suggest you buy a separate card reader for any updating of the maps/POI's because using ActiveSnc seems to take for ever!
Chyownster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone got the 4700 on CP live? really would like to know if it looks good wih the VGA, Also whats all this about the double pixeling will it look a bit dodgy when its all set up out of the box?

Will i need to modify the settings to get it it look vga? Am i confused i think so!!
steveBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave/gripp
thanks for the reply.

I'm probably going to take a leap of faith and go for Co pilot, at the end of the day accuracy is what i need.

I understand that a CF card is ok for the copilot maps, any suggestions on the size or make? Also when you search for cards quite few have x44, does this refer to the read/write speed or is just part of the reference? Is speed important?

Card readers, I spotted a fair few multi reader on the web that will read/write anywhere from two types of card up to 7. again any suggestions on a good make and the type of price range you should pay for one. Most of these are classed as USB type two and claim to be faster than USB type 1. But if active synch using USB can take a long time to down load, how is USB 2 card reader any quicker?

Plus is it possible to set up two blue tooth connections to a PDA, one for the GPS reciever and one for your mobile, to allow the use of the Live traffic reporting.

Gripp, (if you use traffic reporting) can you confrim that this is free, on a couple of sites they appear to be charging a 12 monthly subscribtion fee for this service.

Chyownster, if you go to www.ipaqnavigation.com and use the compatibility function they indicate that the 4700 will work with either a blue tooth or cable GPS, other than that I not spotted any thing else. ALK who i emailed via there web site tech support asking the same question have not replied.

Once again thanks for the help, excellent site.

Cheers
Steve :P
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use traffic reporting, only the speedcam database as supplied (free) by this site
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chyownster wrote:
has anyone got the 4700 on CP live? really would like to know if it looks good wih the VGA, Also whats all this about the double pixeling will it look a bit dodgy when its all set up out of the box?

Please keep in mind that you are still staring at the same small 3.7 inch screen. So VGA mode merely gives you a better display of the existing data, not necessarily more data. It's a very nice gimmick, but not at all important for the navigation. A good speaker is so much more important.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of a 44x speed but it's possible there are some out there. The last I heard they were around 20x speed (CF Cards). If you have USB2 on your PC then I'd go for a USB2 card reader, it will be a lot quicker.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TT3 or CP5 on iPAQ4700 confused Reply with quote

Whilst I think you've settled on CoPilot now, a couple of points are worth answering. I'm probably changing my old (but good) iPAQ 3970 for a new iPAQ hx4700.

Dave wrote:
steveBob wrote:

Pass, I'm not sure.

I shall go for a new Brodit mount, and, at least initially, will use my Haicom HI-303MMF CompactFlash GPS. You've got plenty of options for mounts and GPSes - all the same options as older iPAQs (wired, CompactFlash, Bluetooth or, though it's hard to recommend in most cases, SDIO).

Dave wrote:
steveBob wrote:

No, because it means that you then need to have the postcode for every location you are going to visit which isn't ideal. Also digitools doesn't cover a complete 100% coverage of the 7 digit UK postcode so although it works well it can't be said it's 100% accurate.

The address lookup issues were largely solved in Navigator 3.03 (or 3.05T for those who have Traffic). TomTom followed the suggestion I made in my 'open letter' to sort the results by distance from the 'city', which means that the wanted result is in the top two or three, and is usually the first result.

It's also worth saying that I'm probably going for the hx4700 not because of navigation so much as the other applications I use that will benefit greatly from a VGA screen. At the moment, TomTom Navigator 3 only supports portrait mode - and probably only by pixel doubling (though if it doubles, the 'quad' pixel is only fractionally larger than those on my current iPAQ 3970 screen). We may not see proper VGA and landscape support until a future version of TomTom Navigator, as TomTom appear to be rewriting all the code in a new common platform. The common platform based Navigator for Palm OS already supports landscape mode - though there's no guarantee that such a feature will be ported to the Pocket PC version of Navigator.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: