Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Smartphone updated to version 1.0.1.69
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Smartphone updated to version 1.0.1.69

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Smartphone updated to version 1.0.1.69 Reply with quote

http://www.alk.com/support/copilotlive_smartphone/updates_patches.asp

General:

* Updates SmartPhone application files to version 1.0.1.69

Fixes:

* Simple Bluetooth setup for all phones including MPx220
* Enhanced Bluetooth GPS Setup. CoPilot no longer requires a serial port service.
* Improved memory management
* Improved traffic functionality

I am just trying it now. Improved memory management may be a fix for the out of memory errors.
simonpitcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please tell us how ou get on, also i see that alk say that it should be installed on to the phone and not the card is that right.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it much but here's what I found:

1. The program still crashes with out of memory errors while calculating routes.

2. There is a new welcome screen which gives you options for "Going To", "Plan a route", "Setup GPS" etc. Setting up the GPS is now much more straight forward, you had to go through about 10 steps before. I had to rebond it with my Holux but for some reason it didn't need a passcode.

3. The backlight doesn't stay on permanently anymore. You now get the option to have it on, off, or to switch on automatically when a turn is coming up.

4. There is an option to have POIs always off, always on or on only when stopped.

Lots of other bugs remain. The routing is still seriously broken. The software is still not fit for use as a street routing program.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot Smartphone updated to version 1.0.1.69 Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

General:

* Updates SmartPhone application files to version 1.0.1.69

And yet the latest patch on www.alk.eu.com is still 1.0.1.46.
carlwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough,

I never ever got the out of memory error until I installed this patch, now I've had it about five times over the last week:

8O
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded and installed the patch yesterday with no problems. It's fixed 2 out of the 3 things I was looking for: better backlight control and POI display options. These are both much better. I'll wait and see if it improves on the memory useage side. It's still a fine product that does everything I need it to.

I think it's added a few extra times on the 'Just Ahead' warning option, as well as an extra option on the Traffic menu. Anyone any idea if/when this facility will be available in the UK?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot Smartphone updated to version 1.0.1.69 Reply with quote

stuartm wrote:
And yet the latest patch on www.alk.eu.com is still 1.0.1.46.

There is now a note on ALK's website that this is for the American version only and that European users should stick to 1.0.1.46 - maybe they are reading this forum?

Hello ALK, I am sorry to inform you that CoPilot 1.0.1.69 is still faulty. I might as well post my comments to you guys here because your technical support people just seem to want to fob us off, deny that there is a problem or ask for tons of details and tracklogs and then never provide an answer.

May I suggest that your developers concentrate on fixing the bugs (out of memory crashes, bizzare routing and missed POI announcements) before you start messing around adding new features. Nice as they are, there are serious problems that should be fixing before tinkering around puttling bells and whistles on the product. Wink

I like the fix that makes the back light come on only when a turn is coming up, but unfortunately it doesn't disable the screen saver and the screen goes blank. It needs to disable the screen saver but switch the backlight off. Otherwise you have no idea if the Smartphone is still working or if it has crashed (unless you keep prodding it every few minutes).
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they are saying 1.0.1.69 is only for the American version. I'm running it on mine with no (new) problems ;) I like the backlight improvements, POIs now seem to stick around. I also noticed that there is an 'optimise stops' option. I'm sure that was only on the desktop version before. Anyway, 1.0.1.69 seems to be a step forward, and hasn't broken anything.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is the least problematic version so far and it's good to have the backlight fixed so that the battery doesn't run itself flat.

For some reason the voice announcements (take the next left etc) don't work at all on 1.0.1.69 for me. I will have to try reinstalling from the CD and then upgrading again. Crying or Very sad
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I'd just try re-installing the voice prompts first; they're a seperate .cab file (tts.cab from mempry?), then I'd try just the update patch again.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fozzie63 wrote:
I wonder why they are saying 1.0.1.69 is only for the American version. I'm running it on mine with no (new) problems ;)

I wonder, indeed! They have now posted 1.0.1.69 for European users:

http://www.alk.eu.com/support/copilotlive_smartphone/updates_patches.asp

The USA version is at:

I downloaded the EU one and out of interest, compared it to the USA one and guess what. The USA and EU downloads are 100% identical, in spite of the warning on the USA website:

alk wrote:
NOTE: This patch is for customers who purchased CoPilot in North America only. Current patches for customers who purchased CoPilot in Europe can be found here.

So it took them three months to post the .69 update on the EU website then.

Rolling Eyes
Venompeter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if I can claim credit for that one, but it was only about three days before they posted it to the UK website that I was asking where the update was for the UK as the US one had been up there for 3 months. I sent them a link to a few of these forums as well where people were reporting it as working well.

ALK seem a strange mix support-wise, they are very slow at responding to emails but both of the support staff I have talked to on the phone have been very helpful, even ringing me back a few times until the problem was at least identified

This US update has fixed my 2 main bugbears- losing the bluetooth connection to GPS (as they say- "when its gone, its gone") and speed camera POIs not working from the custom database.

Only puzzle is why it took 3 months

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: