Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna Clip-On very slow to get fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna Clip-On very slow to get fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Fortuna Clip-On very slow to get fix Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought a Fortuna Clip-On BT and I'm not sure if it's faulty or if my expectations are too high. When I first switch it on it can take a few (2 or 3) minutes to get a 3D fix on my initial location and if I am moving at this point it will never achieve this (eg The first time I used it was in my mate's TVR with the lid down for half an hour and it never got a fix until we got back to his house and stopped). Is this normal? Surely the claim of <45s TTFF means it should pinpoint me in under a minute pretty much regardless, shouldn't it?

Once I've got a fix it is fine and I've been using it with TomTom3 on my XDA2 and it really is great, but unless I sit still for a couple of minutes before setting out it doesn't work. Has anyone else found this? I'm using it in XT mode. Could I have old firmware? Should I download something to enable me to see which version of firmware I've got?

I bought it last week from Expansys for only £100 inc postage and it came with a continental plug (although it said it would be a US plug); they've since increased the price to £130.95 + postage with nomention of foreign plugs. Since we're talking GLOBAL positioning system, none of this should matter anyway! But perhaps this suggests it's an older version, hence the firmware question.

Any help/ideas would be gratefully received.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TC,

Try switching the Clip-On into ST mode and then let it have a clear view of the sky whilst it's not moving. Once it has a lock on the satellites it should find them again very soon.

BTW, I have never found the need to run either of my Clip-Ons in XT mode. Also both of the Clip-Ons have the old firmware.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Robert. I have also found that it doesn't work too well if you start near to a building. We had to roll the car six feet down the drive this morning to get a fix, but then it was almost immediate! Laughing

And once you get a fix it seems to keep it very well. Even when I went into the office I could still see six satellites whilst sitting at my desk on the first floor (ten feet from the window)! :D But if I switch it on at my desk without already having had a fix (no, I'm not a junkie), it will only ever see one satellite. So I guess the trick is to start out in the open until it works out where you are. This seems slightly strange to me, but fair enough I guess.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: