Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lots of signal activity but no fix !?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lots of signal activity but no fix !?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Lots of signal activity but no fix !? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am finding recently, in my GPS Software "GPS Status" screen, I am able to pickup simultaneously 6 or 7 Satellites, but it will only acquire a fix for a second or Two and then it is immediately lost !?

The Signal bars do appear to remain constant (with the same numbered Satellites?), at between 30% and 70%.
The pattern then repeats itself, fix for a second, then lost and lots of signal for another 30 seconds........ It cannot permanently acquire a fix. (This is also outside standing still).

I am using a Rikaline SiRF X6 CompactFlash Card with TomTom Navigator 3. If it helps, its set in the GPS Config screen as:
NMEA 0183v2 9600
With the Rikaline Adapter that it automatically detects.

All feedback greatly appreciated.
Daniel.
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Just a quick update.... Reply with quote

I have attempted to change the Protocol Baud/Speed setting FROM 9600 down to 4800.

After doing this, I am finding that GPS locks up and I get no signal/activity.
Also, setting the Baud (?) to a higher setting (than 9600), again, GPS totally locks up with no activity.

So why is it doing this also - stuck with only one setting that provides activity!? Sad Have Rikaline provided any NEW Driver(s) for the X6, and if so, can anyone point me in the right direction? Smile
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the following settings work on my Ipaq 2210:
Top box: TotmTom Navigator GPS
Bottom Box: Rikaline__CF HS GPS

or

Top box: Ambicom GPS-CF
Bottom Box: Rikaline__CF HS GPS

Hope it helps.

Art

Ipaq 2210
ttm 3
Rikaline x6
Ukpost code
Akron powered mount
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your Post Artisan,

For some reason I am finding that the Card will not respond/work at all, unless I set the Protocol etc to anything else apart from:
NMEA 9600
Rikaline CF Adaptor.

Maybe the GPS Card has somehow "hardwired" itself with these settings - any other setting I choose produces no activity/locks up. The Green light is on, on the Card, but no activity in the Software. Crying or Very sad

Maybe I should not use the Card for a month or so until the internal battery drains, and I may have better luck then, using it fresh in the PDA (it may have retained some settings somehow internally ?? Question
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a shame to just leave it on the side for a month. It may not work when you try again!! Have you spoken to Rikaline? drop them a line they may be able to help.

RIKALINE_SUPPORT@rikaline.co.uk

Good luck

Art
DanielJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,

Very true... (would be a shame to leave my GPS Card for a while until the internal battery discharges, to find its still doesn't work).

I'm thinking somehow my CF Card may have "hardwired" itself to NMEA 9600, and so won't accept any other settings??? ... maybe I'm just picking at straws. Sad

I have just forwarded an E-Mail to Rikaline using the Support E-Mail address you provided. Many thanks. Wink

It will be interesting to see what Rikaline suggest - IF they reply to my E-Mail. I will keep you updated.

Regards,
Dan.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: