Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot5 - TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot5 - TomTom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xantia
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: CoPilot5 - TomTom Reply with quote

After running TomTom on a LOOX 600 with hardwired GPS and a LOOX 420 with a Holux B/T , the LOOX 600 was a bit of a trial sometimes but the LOOX 420 worked flawlessly. In a moment of madness I decided to try a Mitac MIO 168 with the CD version of CoPilot 5. The software loaded and ran O.K., the MIO is a super bit of kit, pulling in satellites quicker and stronger tha any other device I have used.
BUT, I am very disappointed with the quality of the map display on the CoPilot, the screen seems to be filled with text, the road you are following is a thick green line, and the purple pointer which is too large. In contrast to the TT3 screen where the road is a well defined red line with the red pointer within the road boundry. My other disappointment is the 'Driver Safety Screen', I understand that perhaps in the USA where you have miles of open road this is a good idea, but here in the U.K. driving down our narrow country lanes it is most informative to be able to have an idea of how the road ahead twists & turns. On TT3 rivers, railway lines, and urban areas are displayed, CoPilot5 shows nothing but an ocassional road.

Finally the CoPilot seems to be a more integrated product, with the software and hardware working well together.

Regards
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get rid of the thick green line by going to tools>options>map and unchecking the Routeover box. The details of the map then show up much more clearly
Robin
xantia
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robin2, I have already done that, still not very happy.

Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to your other points -

If you set to 3D display, the map stays on all the time.
You can also use the nested buttons which will permanently display the map, either zoomed to the next turn, or to your destination.
It's all in the manual, which you can print from the CD ROM. But it takes a bit of finding on the CD using Windows Explorer!
Robin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the 3D view or the WHERE AM I view a good toggle. I used to like the speed sensative cut in and cut out of the safety screen on TomTom Navigator, and it's fine if you are driving a road with a constant speed, but when you start chopping and changing roads it becomes annoying and I found myself either setting the speed that the safety screen would cut in way too high (so it didn't), or I had to keep going back into options to change the speed.

With CoPilot it's much easier to sit on the safety screen and be shown turn by turn directions when you come to a junction where you need to make a direction change. If you need maps then you can tap top of screen, pull down the view menu (big buttons) and select 3D or WHERE AM I and toggle between the view easily that you want.
xantia
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Robin2 & Dave, I am out and about today and wil try your reccomedations.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: