Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom For Palm On Pocket PC Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom For Palm On Pocket PC Software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dekka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom For Palm On Pocket PC Software Reply with quote

Is It just my imagination but if you browse the CD of the SOFTWARE ONLY version of Tom Tom Navigator 3 for Pocket PC.

You will find a subdirectory on the disk entitled PALM which as fan as I can tell is the full palm version of the software.

I presume this is a solution for those wanting a software only option for the Palm OS. Just buy the pocket PC version?

Anyone done this and does the code register the palm version as well?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the name of the folder, the files inside it look to be Windows CE files - not Palm OS files. Oddly there are some Palm references in there - for example, one of the files referenced in navigator.inf is a .prc file.

I can't think you'll get the Pocket PC version to work on Palm OS, even with these files.

David
dekka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I have had it confirmed that is the palm version on the software in at email from a user who has installed it.

What he doesnt know is whether the ttcode will register it for the palm he installed it with the GB maps from the disk and when he runs it on his tungsten T3 it gives a code to register at ttcode.com - he doesnt want to do this part as he has already activated it on his pocket pc.....

Any ideas
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The activation rules are this:

Firstly, you can reactivate a device already activated for that product using the same product code at any time and without affecting the waiting time to activate a new device.

To activate a second device, you have to wait at least seven days from your first activation.

To activate a further device, you have to wait at least six months from your last activation of a new device.

It might be possible for him to activate after a bit of waiting - but does the map loader work for the Palm (though I suppose you could load the maps using a card reader)?

I wouldn't want to try this (not least because if you use your second activation and then have to change your Pocket PC you're potentially stuck for the next six months), but it's down to him.

I can't think TomTom will support this officially even if it does work.

I was actually a little surprised that TomTom didn't offer a software only CD product (so you don't get the memory card included in the official Palm OS product) that covers both Pocket PC and Palm OS - that would certainly help people changing between one system and the other, or who sometimes use a Palm and sometimes a Pocket PC. Of course, you would have to bear in mind the licence restriction that you can only have the software installed on one navigation device at once.

What TomTom actually offer is, of course, up to them.

David
dekka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Apparently when you insert the tom tom cd it detects palm hotsync and runs the palm specific version.

I think i am going to take the gamble and order a copy of tomtom 3 software only (For pocket pc) and install it on my palm.

It has got to be a damn site cheaper than the sd card version only they sell.

I wonder if they have provided both like you say for ease of use of palm and pocket pc users or to reduce their duplication costs of a palm specific and a pocket pc version.

Should be here tomorrow i will let you know how it goes <gulp>
dekka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: It works Reply with quote

For all those palm users wishing a SOFTWARE only solution then I have today found out the solution for this.

1. Buy Tom Tom Navigator 3 for POCKET PC software only.

2. This contains a PALM directory with the full PALM version of Navigator v4.00 For Palm OS!

When you insert the disk it automatically detects that you have hotsysnc installed and will run the installer in palm mode for loading maps etc.

You then need to activate the software using the code in the box at www.ttcode.com and the code that is displayed on the palm then its all done!!

My copy of the software arrived this morning and i was a bit worried the activation part would not have worked - worked like a charm.

Go pick up the software for under £100.00 and then you have the software only solution without the expensive SD card software only version.

No charge for this information Smile but any donations of useful gps software for palm are welcome 8)
dekka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran the 4.1 upgrade which i downloaded from tomtom and it upgraded the installed navigator 4.0 to 4.1 without any problems.
ibe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, trying to understand this, I am considering using a new Road Angel 2 Radar Decector as the GPS receiver and connect it via the NMEA (serial) output to my Palm T3, so could I use this Tom Tom software?

If so, then is the Tom Tom Traffic option also available (ideal solution)?

I assume I need to but a special cable to connect the Road Angel to the T3, any ideas what one and where?

TIA
Ibe
dekka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic is not available on the PALM OS version. Only Pocket PC.

The Road Angel should work - However I have no idea where you would get the cable from unless you can get the wiring diagram and make one yourself out of a t3 sync cable?
ibe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I need a six pin mini din male (for GPS output end) to a usb 'female' connector cable (as I have the Palm T3 usb to sync retractable cable).

Is there anyone who knows if it exists and what it is called and where?

TIA

ibe
Wobbly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Palm TTN3 on PktPC CD Reply with quote

As someone who has just bought the SD card version, I am officially gutted by this news - although how will you power your T3's in car without the TT3 car kit - is it available separately? Go on, put the boot in...

W.
ibe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: The cable works if you know the frig. Reply with quote

I bought the cable and it worked after the initial challenge. The cable has separate power & din plug for gps receiver/road angel and a T3 sync connector with a cigarette lighter plug. It powers both GPS and T3 as well as supply the GPS signal :P

I was worried of buying the cable, TT3 software and mount kit separately and then it did not work with no support. So, I bought the lot from Holux to enable a refund if no joy, Initially, it did not receive a GPS signal, eventually found TT3 needs to be set to 'TomTom Cable GPS' and not 'Other Cable NMEA GPS' :x .

You can buy the cable for £25 (the supplied T3 sync connector is not as good as a retractable sync plug but it works..)

http://www.holux-uk.com/Products/cables/roadangel.htm

Now the only problem is the postcode data is about four years out of date...

The killer app. will be when you can get decent Traffic Report (Trafficmaster) with detour options integrated with TomTom and a radar detector, some day customers will get a proper solution at a reasonable price..... Thumbs Up
Wobbly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Integrated system Reply with quote

Ibe,

Would also be good if you could run 2 apps on Palm at the same time (even if one incorporated a shell environment for the other to operate under)...

Then we could run TTN3 with GPSRadar (shareware available from: http://www.sophonix.com/downloads/gpsradar.asp) with the PktGPSWorld camera database loaded.

As the Palm TTN3 isn't compatible with GPRS Traffic, I bought a subscription for the trafficmaster so that I can manually 'avoid roadblock' or 'calculate an alternative route' if an alert comes in - which is OK - at least until an integrated system becomes available.

W.
ibe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Trafficmaster availabillity Reply with quote

I am waiting the supply of a Trafficmaster Freeway but apparantly no stock exists and ebay looks dearer than a brand new one (after license fee). What are you using and were did you get it from?

TIA

Ibe
Wobbly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Trafficmaster Reply with quote

I got the 'Freeway' audio only model from the Trafficmaster website just a couple of months ago - but can't find it there now! http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk

Maybe its been withdrawn - would explain why more expensive on eBay...?

The unit was 80GBP, incl. 1 yr's subscription @ 30GBP. Have got some literature about it at home - will add more here if relevant - but next week.

Whilst searching for it, I came across this though (which might be of interest):
http://www.palm.trafficmaster.net/

W.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: