Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 3: activation problems. Help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 3: activation problems. Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spook21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom Nav 3: activation problems. Help! Reply with quote

I have just purchased a second hand copy of TomTom Navigator 3 from e-bay, only several months old. Installation went fine - with maps downloaded and iPAQ 2210 and Bluetooth reciever linked. Then came the problem!
Upon visiting www.ttcode.com to find out my activation code, I was informed that the product had previously been activated (as I might have expected) but, unfortunately, neither of the device codes they list match the ones on my screen. Therefore, I'm stuck.
Having visited the FAQs, I realise this is not an isolated problem - and the TomTom helpdesk have been less than helpful: saying they strongly recommend NOT buying second hand (They would, wouldn't they?) and that they cannot offer any support.
Other than 'return to seller', is there anything any of you could do to help? I'm guessing that, with so many second hand TomTom units listed on e-bay, someone must have thought of a way round this? I live in hope. Crying or Very sad
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom can be activated once, and then a 2nd time a week later. After this it is 6 months. The site might tell you how many days are left until you can activate again.
I'd suggest contacting the seller on ebay. If he won't help then all you can do is leave negative feedback I suppose.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spook,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m afraid that there are a lot of unscrupulous sellers on eBay who load up an unlicensed copy of TomTom onto a nice PDA. This is software piracy. Evil or Very Mad

I agree with Nej that you should contact the seller. You should ask for, if not demand, the original TomTom Navigator CD and licence code (as printed on the CD case). How was the eBay item described? What did it say about the TomTom software? Do you have a link to it?

If you have no joy then you have unfortunately over paid for your PDA. If you wish to use a SatNav program (and TomTom is a good one) then your best bet is to buy a licensed copy of the software from one of the advertisers on this site.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got the original cd and serial number inside the case?
Spook21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! can't believe the number of replies. Thanks.
Don't know whether I've explained myself clearly. My iPAQ 2210 wasn't part of the e-bay deal. I just bought the TomTom 3 software and receiver. It was boxed and has a product code - and the guy I bought it from seemed genuine enough. Only time will tell.
When you get to the activation code screen, you see a device code - and a link to the www.ttcode.com site. On the site, I typed in my product code (printed on the inside of the cd case) and the message came back that it recognised this. However, it then stated that the product had been twice activated before and to click on the applicable device code. Neither matched the one on my original activation screen - so I was effectively stuck. Any ideas?
scorpio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its any use to you I am in the same situation but with Tom tom 2 I brought a ipaq with a original cd of tomtom with all codes it had been activated twice as well but underneath it says how many days you have to wait till you can activate it again if your lucky you wont have to wait as long as me.
Spook21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: If all else fails... Reply with quote

Hi there everyone.
Have tried contacting the seller - but, as yet, no reply. Still, I'll give it a little more time. However, am I right in thinking that, if all else fails and I cannot get a refund, I would still be able to reactivate the software at a later date? 6 months after the previous activation?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct - you can reactivate 6 months after the originial activation.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>someone must have thought of a way round this<

Yes, the peeps who have posted Navigator crackz and new .mid files on the P2P networks Exclamation
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Correct - you can reactivate 6 months after the originial activation.

I think it is 6 months after the second activation.

Steve
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can do the activation over the phone (make a couple of TV meals and have a big book to read while you wait). They may want you to fax a receipt of some kind. The fact is that you have bought this in good faith and TT have no right to prevent you using it. I have found them helpful in activation requests (I think they know that their very strict policy causes a lot of hassle) when I've finally got through to them.

Their policy on activation is truly laughable. It would seem that if you are a dodgy customer they make you wait 6 months before they will reactivate a product (if they know you are 'dodgy' then why do it at all, ever?!) but if you have had a repair or a ROM upgrade or bought a new PDA they will do it straight away, provided you send a receipt. So why bother with the 6 month thing at all? I am sure they are well aware that they cannot legally deny use to a bona-fide purchaser of their software.
Ted

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: