Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kane Launch New UK TMC GPS Solution
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kane Launch New UK TMC GPS Solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Kane Launch New UK TMC GPS Solution Reply with quote

roadRama, a new UK company have just launched a TMC GPS Solution which appears to be based on the Navigon Product. Feedback from UK users has been very good with the combined GPS/TMC receiver removing the problems and costs associated with others TMC solutions that require subscriptions and GPRS Data feeds.

Visit the RoadRama website for more information.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
daz-rdp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked at web site seems a good idea. When are you going to do a review
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm awaiting a response from them. I never had any luck with Navigon so it would be great to get this in for review, the GPS Hardware is unique and with Broadcast TMC it appears to have it all.

Certainly those that bought the Navigon version are full of praise for it Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have Navigon Mobile Navigator 4 which I started review a couple of days ago. :D
daz-rdp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave
what are your first impressions. If the mapping software is good,then the product that roadrame are offering seems to be an all in one package that will give all the other companies something to think about. Laughing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impressions are the GUI isn't bad, but I think they've tried to clutter the screen a little. Map support seems to be good with NAVTEQ maps.

Having to install 1.2gb's worth of maps onto your PC is a bit of a pain though.

I need to do a little more driving to get some accurate routes calcuated to see if they're on par with the other top applications.

I do like the night screen which tbh is the best use of the brightness slider bar I have ever seen. Why other companies can't implement this is beyond me!
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having have tried MN4 as I would have liked to use a TMC function that didnt require the cost or complexities of GPRS connection.

Having used MN4 and TT3, I am about to go back to TT3 as (for me) it seems the easier and more effective package. The routes MN4 creates seem to be the same as TT3

What I dont like about MN4
-------------------------------

1) There is a delay between where you are and the display on the screen
2) If you miss your turn the software just shows you off track without giving you a new route - then usually it says "turn around", where TT3 would provide an alternative route and only turn around when the best choice.
3) When you are off track the voice gets confused (left, right, left) unless you stop and wait for it to decide what to do.
4) If you are travelling and need to select a alternative route (roadblock etc), it is hard to select without the stylus (small buttons). With TT3 you just tap the screen then tap the large buttons - I accept that with TMC this feature should not be needed.

What I like about MN4
--------------------------
Support for RDS/TMC
Build in route logger.

What I dont like about TT3
-------------------------------
No support for RDS-TMC
daz-rdp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dave

how is the review going with the software. i'd be very interested in this one
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going quite well, it won't be released this week, I was on holiday last week so not much got done on the review front for Navigon, but I should have time to do a more detailed write-up later this week and if all goes well, it may be published sometime next week if I can find some quality time to spend on it.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Kane Gear /RoadRama Reply with quote

I was recently given a Kane Car Pilot V1 by my dad. I contacted Kanegear and I managed to talk to a guy who put the V2 maps on a memory card for free.
He also told me about RoadRama saying that this is the upgrade route for Car Pilot. When you look at the Roadrama site you will see that the contact number is identical to the Kane Gear number...

The memory card was returned by return of post and works great. Also included was an evaluation copy of the speed minder app. Having looked at this it seems there is an API thats used to use the Powerloc program. Also the camera locations are in a databse file. sadly i have no idea of the format. but i can upload it if you are interested.

also interestd in the camera db update ;-)

Paul
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Darren sorry to chase but any news regarding Navigon or RoadRama review, I need to purchase a European GPS system this month and would like your view on these before parting with my cash...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still in review, due to many problems with the TMC Antenna and also I have been away at several press launches.

The review in terms of software is almost complete I just need to do some investigation with Navigon into the TMC problems I am having. Even if I fix this tomorrow and complete the write-up it's at least a week away if not longer.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Navigon review will now be delayed. This is due to first of all not being sent a TMC antenna, then the wrong antenna, then finding out that I don't have the TMC module even though it was requested. Thanks to Navigon who have been very patient and are sorting this out now, I hope to be up and running with the TMC module in a few days.

I'm half in minds to release the review as a software only and a TMC review, or add the TMC on later. I'll have a think about this over the next day or so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: