Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with Bluetooth Dropouts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Bluetooth Dropouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Problems with Bluetooth Dropouts Reply with quote

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on Bluetooth and dropouts / problems on this board already.

I have got to a point after following the numerous advice dotted around this forum where I am pretty stuck, any assistance would be gratefully received.

I am using an IPAQ 5450, Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS, Navigator 3, GPS driver 2.07, Memory Map, sandisk SD 256Mb, PPC 2003 - ROM 2.00.21 ENG, IPAQ Bluetooth driver - 1.4.1.58 (latest)

My IPAQ connects to the GPS receiver fine, and will stay connected for some time. However if I change from Navigator view to Map view it will frequently lock up. If I interrogate the GPS status it will show the black dots stuck on 4, and lock all other detail. Sometimes this does not occur, but if I start to scroll the map around it will eventually lock. This occurs whether the map is on my SD card or within main memory (card removed). Therefore I do not think it is a card problem.
A soft reset will normally cure the problem, however on occasion I have to power cycle the BT GPS.

I have also been having similar problems with Memory Map. Memory Map will find the GPS okay and will give me a fix. However if I scroll the map or zoom out I will lose the GPS receiver - a message of GPS: communication timeout will be given. GPS config on Memory Map is NMEA, COM8 and 4800.

I have also tried removing TTN 3 - MM problem still exists
I have also tried removing MM - TTN3 problem still exists

Incidentally the problems above also occured with GPS driver 3.03

I am really at a loss as to what to do next,
Thanks

Psimon
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it happens when the PDA is reading map data which points to a memory error.

Try and put a small map in the iPAQ internal memory rather than on the storage card and see if you still have the same problems. If this stops the problem it could be a storage card incompatibility.

Also TomTom seems to sometimes object to certain other programs running such as Calendar and Active Synch.

It could be that your internal memory is full, look under settings-memory and see how much free memory you have.

Also try placing the TT BT unit close to the PDA (<0.5m) and see if that improves the situation. If I place myself between the PDA and the TT unit, that can often be enough to block the signal.
psimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I think your assessment appears fairly accurate - i.e. memory problem.

The communication failure only seems to occur whilst manipulating map data.

Couple of points in answer to your questions:

1. Have tried small maps in internal memory - still the same problem.

2. Have had no other programs running in background i.e. Activesync / Calender - still the same problem

3. Internal memory seems to be okay, I have around 23Mb for running programs.

4. Most of the time the reciever is fairly close to the PDA - still the same problem.

I am really get quite frustrated - I am beginning to wonder whether I should give up on it all. It certainly is no good if Bluetooth drops everytime I adjust the program / maps.

I think I shall try a complete re-install and see if that helps - I fear not as the problem is common across Tom Tom and Memory Map

Psimon
psimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as an update.

I have hard reset the IPAQ. Have only had Tom Tom loaded and maps in Internal memory. The problem still persists!

I have noticed something else:-

Once communication is lost between the IPAQ and the Receiver I have to often soft reset the IPAQ. On a number of occasions once I have soft reset and started to run TTN again the receiver will power off completely.

There seems to be so many symptoms and little resolution, I am wondering whether I have duff hardware.

Simon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try unchecking the show poi in the poi submenu in prperties and make sure the reacive all beams in unchecked so the ir is turned off

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffered badly from this problem.

The only way I could cure it was to chuck the TomTom BT away and replace it with a Haicom.

Sad
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried the latest gps driver 3.03?
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i saw that you have tried 3.03. do you use cpu tweaks? i use xcpuscalar and tried tweaking to 530mhz. in the middle of a 40km journey, tomtom indicated gps disabled. went back to 472mhz, all is well.
psimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. I am sad to say that I am still have problems.

I am not using any CPU tweaks, POI turned off, IR turned off, I am using 3.03 (also tried with 2.07).

I went on a long journey yesterday and it worked for the entirety, however as soon as I 'manipulated' the map the Bluetooth connection was lost.

Simon ( still frustrated).
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just an idle thought - when you want to manipulate the map, have you tried unchecking the 'Keep GPS position on screen' option within Advanced Properties?

If this is checked, the software may object to being asked to do the impossible when you try to manually manipulate.

Steve
Nissan Connect
psimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,

I checked your suggestion, however the 'keep GPS position on screen' was not checked, so this is not the problem Sad

S.
psimon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would post a reply as I have managed to fix the Bluetooth problem.

I had to take somewhat drastic action - restore to PPC 2002. It really did seem that the IPAQ 5450 with WM2003 could not stabilise Bluetooth. I got the impression this had something to do with either processor power or memory leaks.
Suffice to say that using PPC2002 has solved the problem on my setup

Psimon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: